Super anti foul trick

Tarlach.

Last year I added some copper oxide and zinc oxide powders to my anti foul paint. This was a tip shared by another boater on the WSF site.

I had Tarlach lifted out Thursday ready to do this seasons AF treatment. In all honesty I should have saved my £265 because, the AF was as good as the day it was applied. No growth whatsoever (apart from a slight moustache on the water line).

I would highly recommend this to people as a trial treatment for your own boats. Minimal cost and the same result as copper coat treatment !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Martin,
No problem with the questions mate. I don’t have any photo evidence (you’ll have to take my word for it) but, I can take a photo soon and post it up.
I put in 100g of each oxide into a 2.5ltr tin.
You have to add very slowly whilst whisking, borrow one from the kitchen and use your battery drill on slow speed. If you add the powders too quickly they will clot and you’ll have lumps !!
I bought the oxide powdered from eBay .
I will try to find the original purchase details and get back to you !
Neil

38 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Thanks I'll read the thread before committing, I know that antifoul paints used to contain high levels of copper + other chemicals but because of eu regs and saving the planet most chemicals are now banned from antifoul paint. 

EU regs only stop the sale of manufactured stuff. They don't stop you from mixing your own !

thank you sounds good idea to me 

I think you’ll be happy Bob! If it doesn’t work for you youve not lost anything . Just remember to add the powders little by little. It takes some time but worth it.

Hi

i am all for saving money and keeping the boat clean my only concern is some anti fouling was removed from the market for environmental reasons with this in mind our we going to damage the seas we spend most of our time trying to protect ? Just a thought 

graham

Hi
i am all for saving money and keeping the boat clean my only concern is some anti fouling was removed from the market for environmental reasons with this in mind our we going to damage the seas we spend most of our time trying to protect ? Just a thought 
graham

Doing this to your anti foul is no different to having a copper coat treatment applied to your boats hull, and that’s legal .

Agree with Tarlach, seems a good idea but if everybody did it,it would no doubt cause wide spread polution.There are enough chemicals in the sea already,especially in areas such as Poole Harbour where it becomes concentrated.

If it was okay , the manufacturers would use it.This is a none starter.Years ago AF manufacturers had to change their

formulas because  some chemicals in AF were changing the sex of whelks.I am quite happy as a man!!!!!!

I agree with both sides of this conversation, it’s ok for a multimillion pound oil drilling rig in Poole Bay, but I bet if as a club, we offered to create a man made reef from x, which had the same amount of rubbish going into the water as the drilling rig we would be laughed at.

It would be interesting to see the make up of copper coat against the diy version suggested. 

The above is hyperthetical but I am fairly sceptical about a lot of dos and don’t dos in this world. I personally would save for 4 seasons and put copper coat on!

17 hours ago, kippercave said:

Agree with Tarlach, seems a good idea but if everybody did it,it would no doubt cause wide spread polution.There are enough chemicals in the sea already,especially in areas such as Poole Harbour where it becomes concentrated.

If it was okay , the manufacturers would use it.This is a none starter.Years ago AF manufacturers had to change their

formulas because  some chemicals in AF were changing the sex of whelks.I am quite happy as a man!!!!!!

Nice one Dave - btw we're quite happy with you as a man as well!!!!