Alderney 2019

Steve S

Yup, It's January, now Christmas is out of the way time to think about visiting Alderney to sample it's fishing. Last year the fishing wasn't great there but that's not going to stop me having another try this year, and as anyone who has been there know's it's not all about the fishing.

Tide wise the weekends round the 11/12 May and 25/26 May look favourite, ie neap tides.

I'm going to plan to go around the weekend of the 11/12 May with the 25/26 as a backup, so the 10th to the 13th May with some possible flex round that.

The tides on the 11/12 and the following Monday and Tuesday are not that small, but I'm starting to think a really small tide doesn't really switch the predatory fish on and certainly a bit of tide over the wrecks is helpful in getting the fish feeding. 

Another possible weekend is around the 27/28 April, I can't do that date.

The bank holiday is on the 6th May, and it's right smack in the springs! 

Who's up for going?  Jerry?....

Pencil in JV - suspect the usual 4 of us for crew - IJ, AJ and RF.

Ive put the dates in the diary but will be wanting to see some better reports in the early charter trips to convince me to go - last 2 years have been dreadful and yes, whislt the trip is still great fun, it’s expensive in fuel and a lot of effort.

If it hasn’t improved I’d rather do Portland - where the fishing has been as good, weather isn’t as crucial and it’s closer.

Adam

I agree with everything Adam sayes but I would definately like to go, as I have only been as crew before I hope I can return others generosity. I have to say I have worked out the tides for Weymouth for the next 8 months😜😜

i just want to get back to sea!!!!!!

I will check how enthusiastic the crew are😀

pencil Loobie IV in.

Good to see many of the usual guys planning to go and Loobie IV, good stuff Jerry.

Oli, Diane and I spent a few days on Tigerfish in Guernsey last summer we stayed in the inner harbour of St Peter Port. Nice place to stay but the tidal issues getting over the sill does not make it very practical for going out fishing every day.

The harbour master shared with me some quite amusing stories about boats not getting in right when crossing the sill, all the while showing me scars on the sill recalling how they occured...

The outside pontoons are mostly walk ashore now,  these should be fine and early season there should be space. When we were there everything was busy and we were advised to use the inner harbour as it would be A calmer and B we would not be woken up at 4:00 in the morning as a flotilla of yacht's was leaving, there was also very little available space outside anyway.

For a place to stay well loads of choice, nothing is low cost. Lots of nice places to eat.

Diesel is slightly lower cost than Alderney and accessible at more states of the tide, the chandery there is good too.

I will be berthing in Alderney, to save cost for the crew and less distance to cover also the B&B's are very understanding about cancelling.

No pre- booking in Guernsey I think, you are not likely to need it in May, a call to the harbour master before you leave should put your mind at rest about berth availability.

I've had a couple of visits to St Pete in May in recent years and probably a couple of dozen before. The outer pontoons have fresh water and electricity now, and as Steve says are walk-ashore. They used to be quiet, but many English, French and Channel Island boat owners visiting have preferred staying "outside" with the ability to depart when they want.

I would suggest that in good weather in May you could be rafted 2 or 3 deep on all of the outer pontoons, with boats being assigned slots on a first-come first-berthed basis, filling up all of the the alongside berths in the U-shaped blind alleys first, then rafting up, with the furthest berths rafted first. When it's 2 deep all over, they'll assign a 3rd boat both sides, and block the U-shaped slot if necessary.

I arrived early in May 2017,  was met by a Harby in a dory as usual, and ended up with two French boats outside, and several boats "in" in the U-shaped blind alley. It was a pig to get out, and needed other boat crews to move, and my planned 6 a.m. departure for Brittany turned into 7 a.m. Friendly warnings the night before had been forgotten with meals and wine ashore. Knocking loudly, smiling, and a bit of French definitely helps, and makes the exit more bearable for all. No Harbys were seen to aid departure!

Suggestion: Talk to the harbourmaster. Explain you're leaving early and need a good position to depart. Two or three PBSBAC boats arriving together might be able to berth together, but still might get hemmed in. Failing that, try to tie outside of a larger boat, and hope no-one comes alongside you.

St Pete is definitely an experience, and I wouldn't let the berthing hassles put you off.

My personal preference if fishing the Schole Bank or area south of the Alderney Race would be Dielette and sleeping aboard. In good weather (with no wind in the NW). The outer marina is quiet, accessible 24*7 for shallow draughts, with a little commercial traffic only. Walkashore berths, decent showers, and straight to a popular restaurant. There's not much there, but it is spectacular and welcoming!

DSC_1385.JPG

I donated a lot of money to the World Health Organisation in order to find a cure for Man Flu Chris. You not being able to quaff ale in Alderney (potential Eurovision song title perhaps) was a major setback to the social side of the trip, lets hope that we all stay healthy and the weather behaves.

On 1/25/2019 at 9:12 PM, iansimpson63 said:

You not being able to quaff ale in Alderney (potential Eurovision song title perhaps) was a major setback to the social side of the trip

.....and not a little unfortunate for the economy of the island. 😁

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...