Poole Sea Angling Centre Cod Comp.30th. Dec.

Leicester Fisheagle

I had a great day out with Graham on Foxy Fisher III, but alas no cod here either.

With few cod reported from the Needles area, we fished one of Graham's marks near the Dolphin Sands, and it was fish from first drop. A total of 51 fish slid over the side, with whiting to nearly 2lb, conger to 10-15lb, a handful of the obigatory dogfish, a solitary pout and a small-eyed ray. Shortly after lunch, the fish went totally off the feed, and we changed tactics on a closer mark, trying drifting over a few banks.

Graham broke out his new slow jigging rod, and surprised both of us with a whiting first drop. A change of lure then caught another, and a massive hit that just might have been that elusive cod, but refused to come back. I can see why he was keen on trying it!

We ended up having a really good day, and had it not been a cod comp, it would have been a perfect winter's day on the water! 

If anyone ever gets the chance to fish on Foxy Fisher III, I would definitely recommend it. An immensely capable boat, with a phenomenal electronics package, and an expererienced skipper who found fish in what seemed to have been a difficult day for most!

I went to the weigh-in for the Poole Sea Angling Centre comp, and it was 29 competing anglers. Winning cod was under 5lb, winning whiting about 4lb, and the 2nd and 3rd cod prizes were awarded to next best two whiting. Hot and cold food was provided, and was enjoyed by all attending. Well done Andy for organising!

Mike

Great to be back afloat 

Thanks to Ian and Alan for great company and banter all day

The fishing was on and off all day, explained a little by a small school of dolphins showing off as the tide eased in the afternoon.

Thanks to Andy for organising the comp, and the food at the Liberal Club, it cannot be easy to run one when so few Cod are about.

Maybe need to change the format again mate.