Braid or Mono?

etian

Which one do you guys use and what are some brands you guys would recommend for main line? I mainly fish inshore in water no deeper that 30m. I need some line that is suitable for all types of fishing. I previously used "Hercules Braided Fishing Line Black Spectra" with 30lb breaking strain. 

P.s What breaking strain is needed for a running ledger rig? any particular recommendations for these as well?

Many thanks as always!

I use 20lb braid for all my inshore fishing and step up to 30lb max for heavy duty fishing. I mainly use Berkley fireline and it lasts forever. I always attache a leader of the same breaking strain with a good quality leader knot.  Either will be fine with a running leger. 

I use to use power pro in either 20 or 30lb but found it very noisy when using on fixed spool reels so have now changed over to whiplash 8 which I have found to be very smooth and also very thin which lets me use lighter weights in strong tides, may not last as long as fireline but much thinner.on my multipliers I tend to use mainly 30lb line with 25lb leaders but step the leaders up to 40lb when fishing for congers and tope, most of my fixed spools have 20lb with either 20 or 15lb leaders. I use amnesia line for all my leaders and tie rotten bottom lines on all my leads 12ozs and under, saves a lot of rigs. Only personal choice and I am sure you could end up with lots of different reply’s it is very much what you feel happy with, 

Nearly all of my reels are loaded with braid

As that is mainly for its tide beating quality, its the diameter compared to the stated breaking strain that is important, so I use Whiplash Pro 30 or 50lb

However on the reels that I take on holiday the direct feel and strength is the more important than the tide beating, so I use Power pro.

The recent trip to Norway where we fished very deep water and the shoals can be at varied depths, I used the Diawa J braid that changes colours every 10 metres. Used to try and target the depths fish were marking on the sounder.

It seemed OK for that use and the line seemed fine. Not sure if it has much use in our area except for drifting wrecks.

Charlie

I use powerpro.

10lb for baitcaster for breams.

20lb on small multipliers for turboting or bassing. (Or breaming when I need to use 1lb or 1lb and half lead).

30lb for wrecking or deeper water.

50lb for congers approaching 100lb which incidentally I haven't been for over 3 years.

Powerpro isn't the thinnest on the market by a long shot, but thinness isn't everything. Yes you will get the poundage but anything too thin is going to get damaged easily when comes into contact of the hull or when get tangled with another line. Plus you try untangling 2* 10lb line weaved into a sweater on a moving boat.

It's a trade off between thinness and strength. One you have to decide which is more important.

I fish on chartered boats so I go for longevity or sheer thinness. Plus everyone else on a chartered boat will pretty much have thicker line than mine.