Best Rod and Reel Combo under £100?

etian

Seriously , the ugly stick will be a great rod but, you will need to spend more than £50 on a reel. You will soon be buying a new one if you buy a budget reel. Spend £100-150 on a decent reel and it will last years !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

I am a fan of the GX2, I have 20/30s & 12/20 - great rods for the money.
I also 8/12s (but they are Elites - bit more money) with stainless rings etc, again, great action.

The 20/30 are good for normal ray, cod fishing etc and wrecking - had blues to 75lb+ on them.

12/20 and good all rounders, very sporting for wrecking!

Reel wise, I usually have SloshXA20s on them but the normal Slosh Daiwas are good value too. https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/daiwa-sealine-slosh-multiplier?gclid=CjwKCAjw85zdBRB6EiwAov3Rin1P7fD0zoYIEp2OKvLncmdxEvZhvgTDF1x65hvTLHAEjo6YRdlExBoCqpkQAvD_BwE

Be prepared for 101 different answers on what rod / reel combo people like!!

Rob

3 minutes ago, Tarlach. said:

Seriously , the ugly stick will be a great rod but, you will need to spend more than £50 on a reel. You will soon be buying a new one if you buy a budget reel. Spend £100-150 on a decent reel and it will last years !

Thanks for the advice Tarlach. Are there any recommendations for a reel that is the best value for money?

Thanks for the advice Tarlach. Are there any recommendations for a reel that is the best value for money?

I use two Penns (can’t remember the models), an avet and a daiwa slosh with level wind . All are good makes for the area we fish and reliable. I’m am right handed but wind with my left which can limit choice a bit but if you don’t fish with a lefty wind it won’t be too restrictive !! What ever you decide on just wash them down in fresh water after every use and they will last longer!!

If your a little light on budget don't forgot some of the groups online, I know Facebook can have its ups and downs but there are some good locale groups for buying and selling and fishing gear comes up for grabs often. Always plenty of people that are clearing out this time of the season.

If you're after a LOW COST salt water resistant Fixed spool reel with or without the baitrunner function have a look at the KASTKING SHARKY 3 RANGE on ebay from Kastking fishing Hong Kong  .I think you  will be pleasantly surprised.

I just purchased a 6000 series baitrunner for around £46 and 1000 metres of multicolour braid for £19 ish and have christened both . I am very pleased with performances ...very powerful main drag and nice 2nd drag ...I reckon they are good value for the price. Plenty of reviews on You Tube

Peteg

If you're after a LOW COST salt water resistant Fixed spool reel with or without the baitrunner function have a look at the KASTKING SHARKY 3 RANGE on ebay from Kastking fishing Hong Kong  .I think you  will be pleasantly surprised.
I just purchased a 6000 series baitrunner for around £46 and 1000 metres of multicolour braid for £19 ish and have christened both . I am very pleased with performances ...very powerful main drag and nice 2nd drag ...I reckon they are good value for the price. Plenty of reviews on You Tube
Peteg

Out of sheer curiosity I’ve had a butchers at them just now.
I must say they look the part and their range is quite extensive!! I’m always sceptical about cheap gear from China / Japan or wherever, so will be good to hear back from you about them after the winter. Tell us how they fair after a few cod and whiting have been landed on them !!

Hello Etian,

get the GX2 and have a look at the Penn 320 within the post from Reel Wizard regarding reels for sale, from yesterday. The reel is a good all round worker and the fact that it already has braid loaded will save you a fair few quid. The rod (£50 for 12-20 from Glasgow angling centre) and reel (£40 second hand) will come in under £100. I would recommend going into Poole Angling and ask Andy if he can match the online price, he is a club member and we should support him as he does a fair bit for the club and members.

Cheers Ian

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06X9KPDJ8/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item?th=1

I was so impressed with the Kastking Sharky3 baitrunner 6000 recently purchased that I decided to go for one of their Whitemax baitcasters .

I paid £27.99 for it but I see its now been reduced to £25.52.

Took a one day delivery option from Amazon and it arrived today. It seems a lovely little reel.

Don't miss these bargains Right hand only it seems on Amazon but they are available left or right on Ebay you just have to wait a little longer.

I am going to pair it with my Daiwa Beefstick 6ft 6inch medium heavy baitcaster rod and keep it  in the boot of my car for holidays later  this week first Wales then on for a week touring in Cornwall if all goes to plan. If I manage to get any fishing in I'll let you know how it performs .It is replacing an ABU 5500C3 which I keep getting overruns on .The Whitemax has a much more sophisticated adjustable braking system which I hope will sort the overrun issue out:grimace:

• 4 weeks later...

Wow after just a week or so from ordering and my kastking rover60L arrived this morning.

I’ve loaded it up with mono as I propose to use it for uptiding.

Firstly I have to say it looks a lovely reel and the build quality looks on first impressions very good !! The action is very smooth also.

Two things that I have noticed that are slight negatives are these..... firstly there is no quick release lever to go into free spool, you have to use the star drag to release it for casting and (but this may be my spoiling station), the line does not lay totally even on the spool. It is slightly thicker one end to the other. But, for £43 inc p&p I’m not going to loose sleep over it !!

Can’t wait to get out and try it now !!

e8b968514b6350dccac9cfa86d142bc3.jpg

6f2df3b38714c624e8003d37ede1fbe3.jpg1371b71e8aa654212a3a15bd59c78594.jpg

I think you will find you have too press on the black thumb bar at the rear of the reel to release the spool for casting it’s a 6000 look alike ish 

I just remembered to take a look at this and yes your right. Thanks for the tip, I now feel even happier with the purchase. Now just for a real life road test !!

• 1 month later...

Sorry to revive this thread but I am looking for another rod and reel combo for around £100. However Im looking for something to do some bass fishing with next summer in and around poole harbour. I really want to get into lure fishing so any tips on that would be greatly appreciated. 

I am happy to spend a bit more if you guys think its worth it.

Many thanks once again