Shetland Alaska 500

Guest Paul

Hi,

I asked over at the Solent Fishing Guide forum about reviews of the Shetland Alaska, someone posted back saying a few of the pbsbac members have them and to give you chaps a try.

I am thinking of purchasing a second hand alaska 1988 hull its in excellent condition with almost brand new gelcoat exterior looks a bargain!! Does anyone have any info on the Alaska... i am after positive and negavive responses.... or all positive i hope!! especially about its sea keeping qualities?

Any help would be good!

Many thanks

Paul

Hi Paul!,

Bob F has an Alaska 500, it is the newer model from Sea Hog - as the original was from Shetland.

Good boats, stood the test of time, plenty of deck space and a fast hull, but Im sure Bob will put a decent review on here for you.

Also see here: http://fishing_boats.tripod.com/

Go to boats 15-19ft then to Sea hog and then to Alaska 500.

Hope this helps.

Now who mentioned sam....? ....Never mind lad,it will all come together one day,Just never give up hopeing and wishing...Jack. ps,just out of curiosity,same chap in scotland is selling his tinnie and he reckons its over 50 yrs old ! I said they last well !

Hi,

I asked over at the Solent Fishing Guide forum about reviews of the Shetland Alaska, someone posted back saying a few of the pbsbac members have them and to give you chaps a try.

I am thinking of purchasing a second hand alaska 1988 hull its in excellent condition with almost brand new gelcoat exterior looks a bargain!!  Does anyone have any info on the Alaska... i am after positive and negavive responses.... or all positive i hope!! especially about its sea keeping qualities?

Any help would be good!

Many thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

I've just bought/launched an Alaska 500. Yet seriously to be used.

All my research/info etc came up with good results - hence my purchase.

But. if it's cream hulled not white ( 1988 it might be cream) I was warned to check the floor for softness/spongeyness. I found one like that and apparently is a known fault. No real problem as it can be replaced, a friend had his done for

Hi Paul,

I own an Alaska 500 which I purchased new from Poolside Marine in 2001.

As others have mentioned, the orginal Alaska's were built by Shetland and are typically identified by their cream coloured hulls. Poolside Marine (Seahog) then purchased the moulds from Shetland and are now the sole manufacturers, I believe. Not sure exactly when Poolside purchased the moulds, but the hulls are typically white and will have the Poolside plate on the transom.

If you have the Shetland type, as Jack says, look out for spongy floors. Also look around the transom for stress fractures caused during towing, etc. Give the underneath a good look for any obvious damage. Other than the usual all-around checks, I'm not aware of any other "known" faults.

Same goes for the Poolside version, except that I've not heard about any floor problems.

I'd put most of your effort into checking out the motor.

As for seaworthiness, the Alaska has slightly more beam and a wider bow than the likes of the Warriors and Explorers which makes her more stable at anchor and less sensitive to roll. On the other hand, the wider bow means she doesn't cut into waves quite as smoothly and you will get slightly more spray into the boat. I think the wider bow also causes her to broach a little more in some wave conditions, but this is minimal.

I had thought the ride in the Alaska was more harsh than the Warriors, but I now believe that this is just due to the Warriors being fitted with indivual bucket seats, rather than the benches and box seats on the Alaska. In the pilot seat the ride is good but the crew who are sat on the bench seat can get a bumpy ride. I experimented by putting in a tempory seat for the crew at they said the ride was fantastic. So, I will be looking to fit a bucket seat some how.

Down sides of the Alaska...

- older hull design

- can broach slightly more in some sea conditions.

- slightly wetter ride

- lack of individual bucket seats will give on harder ride for crew.

- deck is not self-draining (nor is Warrior 165), so its essential to fit a bilge pump.

Plus points...

- more stable at anchor

- less suspectable to roll (I've had her at nearly 90 degrees and she still didn't capsize)

- certified to carry 8 people vs 4 on Warrior.

- hull speed is good (I've had 32 knots, 3 up)

A classic, well proven hull, though slightly older in design now.

I chose her because of the package deal, the passenger carrying capacity (i have a family of 5) and the stability.

cheers

BF

• 3 weeks later...

Have owned a Shetland Alaska for the last couple of years and is a 1988 boat was and still is in excellent condition no problems whatsoever and the gellcaot is like new all over these things seem to be really well made as I trailer mine all over the country and to Ireland and the Shetland Islands and have had the occasional unplaned meeting with a rock all be it at slow speed and still not a mark.As for the soft deck report I have not experienced this but I do always leave mine tilted up so only wet for a short while whilst fishing.As for the wet ride I use mine with the extention canvas and never get any water in the boat this took a bit of getting used to as you have to sit to stear but the addition of a windscreen wiper and now I wouldnt have it any other way.I have a 1988 60hp johnson VRO outboard and I have a top recorded speed in the river humber of 32 knots 2 up but I do weigh 20stone.Hope you have as much enjoymentr out of your Alaska as I get out of mine .Tight lines Harry

post-6-1116718287.jpg

Nice review Harry. wink.gif

My views too.

Although I have managed to do some cosmetic damage to the hull after the boat was swept up to the top of a slip and left high and dry. Had to haul her back onto the trailer from the concrete slip. Hurt her bum a bit, but all tickitee boo now. biggrin.gif