Anchor rode what sort of length for inshore

steve m

lm not sure what sort of length required. So all you small dinghy anglers how much do you carry. l only plan to stay inshore say patch, ray mark etc. As l have been reading we should have 7 x depth so looking at the rought area of the ray mark l would 70m of rope which would be over 200 foot which sounds a bit excessive for 14 foot boat which l would only be out there on nice days anyway.

The amounts you have read about would be used for safe overnighting.

For a 14' boat fishing inshore I would suggest you have 5-6 metres of chain along with a 4/5 kilo anchor with 3 times depths of rope you intend fishing in should hold you just fine

I fish on a small 17ft Explorer elite mainly inshore marks like you listed, I am lucky in that I have a large anchor well to keep rope in. I have about 150m of 10mm rope fitted with a small Bruce of 5kg however I do have around 8m of chain as I think this off sets the smaller anchor and helps it hold better I have not so far slipped. I use the Alderney ring method to retrieve so the extra chain weight is no problem. Its more rope than I would ever need, it just makes me fill confident knowing I have it if needed. I also carry another 50m coiled up as a spare just in case......

If you have room I would not skimp on the length, if the tide or wind gets strong you may need to let a bit more warp out.

100m of 10mm would be my recommendation, should stow in one of those soft buckets if you coil it in neatly, then a decent 5 mtr length of 6mm chain on top