Barracuda 9

billy2shots

Currently my dad and I have a Merry Fisher 805. It's been a good boat with plenty of creature comforts but it does have its drawbacks when it comes to fishing. 

The biggest limitations I find are 

-Lack of fishing space on deck. It's 'ok' for 2 but my son (6) is getting into fishing and I keep having to find excuses why we all can't fish at the same time. 

-It's a bit slow. I know that it's all relative but we often find ourselves cruising at 13 as anymore gets a little noisy and uncomfortable over a longer period. We tend to have shorter sessions of around 6 hours total and having the ability to get places at 20 knots would really increase the time with bait in the water and open up new marks.

-The MF805 is great for family and fishing but there's  probably a little too much berth space down below that is a little wasted for our needs. 

With that in mind (and I blame this forum) I have spent the weekend purring over Barracuda 9s. Much more outside space to fish, certainly faster (and costlier) but my big head scratcher is the internal space. I think it will be ok but that could be rose tinted new boat glasses speaking. 

We are a max of 2 adults one very small adult (the Mrs) and 2 kids. Looks like 4 can sit comfortably on the 9 with the lower berth still there all be it smaller than on the MF. Most of the time there is only 3 sat down anyway as rods are being set up/packed away, kids are playing in the berth etc. 

Im waffling to myself but I guess what I'm looking for is advice and opinions about making a switch. Anyone have experience of the Barracuda range or has anyone made the switch from cruiser to this kind of boat and care to share their experiences?

Wow you have started a topic here, this could run and run. Ask yourself a similar question about cars, is there a car for all uses???

A fishing boat and cruiser is a difficult blend to find.

I think it depends on how big your prepared to go to get what you want, for comfort and speed your probably in the two engine market and a  heavier displacement.

Lighter boats at higher speeds tend to be noisy or slam and feel more rally car than Rolls Royce.

The Barracuda 9 in several formats tends to be an outboard boat, fast planing and petrol thirsty. It does have fishing space upfront which is a bonus, but when anchored you would prefer to fish from the stern.

Maybe a Rodman with two diesel engines and no flybridge would be worth looking at. Large accommodation, heavy displacement cruising at 18 knot + more family friendly + economical on fuel. Sterndrives can be expensive to maintain but as a rule quicker boats, but a fast fixed prop is probably more durable if you do not want large bills.

Stability normally derives from low down weight in the hull and outboards tend to be higher up, if you have a catamaran this is can be offset with a wide beam.

20 knots is not the norm in our waters unless you have the right boat or flatish seas ,  a Targa, Rodman and few other top brands have this capability and more fishing specific boats, like the Breaksea models .Otherwise you will find most travelling between 13 and 18 knots.

Hunting for a boat is great fun and many members are always looking online including myself, there is normally a comprimise as with all things, good hunting.

No doubt Iam going to get shot down in flames very soon for these comments, never mind I can take it.

As other say its always a compromise to get the best for your requirements, and believe me as  family grow these do change.

The main reason why I have built my last two boats

the Duver 23 we had for 15 years and was a great fishing boat for the family. like a little charter boat

lots of fishing room, but only one bunk, no toilet and two ring hob made it day trips only and more like camping.

When we upgraded I was looking at Rodmans but they were bigger but lacking in some departments. 

The boys and I wanted plenty of room to fish and a bit more speed, Wendy on the other hand wanted a bit of comfort, a toilet and a proper galley.

so we opted for the 30ft Offshore Pro charter, with long wheelhouse outside has 110 square feet of fishing space and the internal layout designed by me with a lot of discussion with my family

Double bed in forward cabin, with bench seating

Full standing toilet space with shower [shower used once in 10 years]

Full size and gimbelled oven.

Hot and cold running water to sink and shower

crew seating and table.

It took a long time to build her, but we consider it worth it, having now had her for over 10 years she still fits what we need. and has had only a few modifications.

Breaksea boats do a very similar design. 

Charlie

Thanks for all the replies. 

We don't stay on the 805 overnight, it's a day boat with room for kids to muck around on which is why it feels a little one sided. 

The galley is a fairly big thing, the Mrs likes cooking on board and although she says she will prepare food before we go, it will be somewhat missed. 

We looked at Rodmans but plumped for the 805, yes they have more space but you don't half pay for that in purchase price and running costs. The same sort of cash gets you a much newer 805 or Bararacuda 9 which although is not the be all and end all, it is a factor for me. 

The sun is out and that's probably making me think of boats and dreaming of what ifs. I'm going to pop in to see a local(ish) one tomorrow just to get it out of my system. 

I love the look of the Barracuda 9 and at one point I thought of buying one.  The biggest downside for me was the cost and inconvenience of fueling a petrol boat.  Petrol on a mid size boat is an issue.  If you are doing inshore trips and using 70/80 litres per trip it's either eye wateringly expensive from a marina assuming you can find one that stocks it or will take a lot of toing and froing with jerry cans then transferring via a syphon tube of funnel and all the fun that entails.  The fuel used on my Rodman would be similar in amount but less than 2/3rds the cost and convenient as most marinas stock red diesel.

If you want sea a review with details of fuel consumption watch the following vid:

http://www.boattest.com/review/beneteau/3014_barracuda-9

As you are aware we have the 805 as well. We have had it for 5 years now and when anyone outside the clubs asks me what type of boat I have, I liken it to a caravan on water. We are a family of three and I must admit we only just all enjoy the space. I am not sure how we would get on if we were a family of 4. However, as your kids get older and discover technology, they will be more in the cabin than out!!

I can fish with 3 anglers out the back quite comfortably, or two anglers with 4 rods. 

We have also had special made cushions which fit the top deck (they cost £600.00 to have made) this gives us an extra 48 sq, feet of sun bathing space. However, that is fine if you are around the Islands not out in the bay which could be uncomfortable due to the pendulum effect!!

We too have looked high and low for another vessel, but they do not exist unless you are willing to pay £90k plus. Charlie did the right thing by creating Alfresco. His boat fits all the family and fishing needs but you will need a big wallet and time to go down that route.

The 805 is very economical on fuel and I use it a lot as a winter fishing boat as it has a great cabin to get out of the cold as well as the inboard heater.

I think it also come down to the fact that you need to determine whether you actually need an out and out fishing boat or a family boat.

And good luck with that one!!!!!!!!!

14 hours ago, Maverick said:

I love the look of the Barracuda 9 and at one point I thought of buying one.  The biggest downside for me was the cost and inconvenience of fueling a petrol boat.  Petrol on a mid size boat is an issue.  If you are doing inshore trips and using 70/80 litres per trip it's either eye wateringly expensive from a marina assuming you can find one that stocks it or will take a lot of toing and froing with jerry cans then transferring via a syphon tube of funnel and all the fun that entails.  The fuel used on my Rodman would be similar in amount but less than 2/3rds the cost and convenient as most marinas stock red diesel.

If you want sea a review with details of fuel consumption watch the following vid:

http://www.boattest.com/review/beneteau/3014_barracuda-9

Not sure I would be able to just take the boat out at the drop of a hat if I was burning that sort of fuel

Impressive looking boat and great performance, but 450 horses take a lot of feeding

Not sure I would be able to just take the boat out at the drop of a hat if I was burning that sort of fuel

Impressive looking boat and great performance, but 450 horses take a lot of feeding

I realise you are a marine engineer Charlie and do your own engine and leg servicing but, with a petrol outboard the cheaper maintenance will surely offset against the steeper fuel bills ?
I’ve had outdrives before and the repairs and servicing bills are quite shocking. Add that up over a season and the two balance out I reckon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Greg said:

As you are aware we have the 805 as well. We have had it for 5 years now and when anyone outside the clubs asks me what type of boat I have, I liken it to a caravan on water. We are a family of three and I must admit we only just all enjoy the space. I am not sure how we would get on if we were a family of 4. However, as your kids get older and discover technology, they will be more in the cabin than out!!

I can fish with 3 anglers out the back quite comfortably, or two anglers with 4 rods. 

We have also had special made cushions which fit the top deck (they cost £600.00 to have made) this gives us an extra 48 sq, feet of sun bathing space. However, that is fine if you are around the Islands not out in the bay which could be uncomfortable due to the pendulum effect!!

We too have looked high and low for another vessel, but they do not exist unless you are willing to pay £90k plus. Charlie did the right thing by creating Alfresco. His boat fits all the family and fishing needs but you will need a big wallet and time to go down that route.

The 805 is very economical on fuel and I use it a lot as a winter fishing boat as it has a great cabin to get out of the cold as well as the inboard heater.

I think it also come down to the fact that you need to determine whether you actually need an out and out fishing boat or a family boat.

And good luck with that one!!!!!!!!!

As Greg has summed up above, the 805 ticks a lot of boxes for my needs. It was the right boat to buy 2 years ago and having spent a few days weighing things up, it's still the right boat for me now. 

Went to see the Barracuda 9 today. Love the front deck area but there is no real gain in stern deck area. Add in an outboard instead of a full width dive platform hanging out back and what I would gain in some practically I would lose in other areas. Interior was just too much of a compromise as regards space, layout and storage. A nice boat but just not right for me at this point in time. 

A huge thanks to everyone for all your contributions and helping me look at things from all angles. 

I've decided to modernise my 2007 805 and the next time she's out of the water I'm going to invest in a more modern plotter/sonar. 

Now  that's a whole new can of worms!!