Rodman v Merry fisher?

Tarlach.

Hello learned members,

I am considering (yes already) a change of boat. I now have the urge to push further afield than my Parker can take me.

So I’m considering either a Rodman 810 (single VP D4 225hp on shaft) or a MF815 (single Nanni 200hp shaft)!

Any constructive thoughts and comments for either model greatly received for thought !

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just out of interest how far are you prepared to take your Parker? I've only seen them at shows but have been impressed with them. Is fuel capacity a restriction?

They are restricted by only having a 140ltr fuel tank, they can be fitted with an optional 190 ltr tank but that’s still quite restrictive.

In my opinion Neil

If you are wanting a fishing boat with good deck space then I would not go for either of them. As you know I have a Merryfisher 805 and it is basically a caravan on water, good fuel consumption and a good safe family boat, but not a serious fishing boat. Three anglers on board would be a crowd, two is really the limit.

On the fuel consumption, From Cobbs Quay to the Needles and back I used £54.00 of fuel this year.

I can not judge between the Rodman and the Merryfisher.

In my opinion Neil

If you are wanting a fishing boat with good deck space then I would not go for either of them. As you know I have a Merryfisher 805 and it is basically a caravan on water, good fuel consumption and a good safe family boat, but not a serious fishing boat. Three anglers on board would be a crowd, two is really the limit.

On the fuel consumption, From Cobbs Quay to the Needles and back I used £54.00 of fuel this year.

I can not judge between the Rodman and the Merryfisher.

Thanks Greg, it’s not going to be an out and out fisher, as I have to now consider the Mrs who wants to get back into the Marina sunbathing and the odd weekend away!

One other serious consideration then Neil,

My Mrs is always complaining that we are usually in the shade when out on a sunny day. This is because of the long high cabin and the short rear deck area and depending on the wind or tide direction, dictates which direction the back area is facing. Very often it is not facing the sun. It is great in the Marina as we face south but not so good when out on the water. 

I would imagine this would be the same for the Rodman?

One other serious consideration then Neil,

My Mrs is always complaining that we are usually in the shade when out on a sunny day. This is because of the long high cabin and the short rear deck area and depending on the wind or tide direction, dictates which direction the back area is facing. Very often it is not facing the sun. It is great in the Marina as we face south but not so good when out on the water. 

I would imagine this would be the same for the Rodman?

The Rodman does seem on the web to have a slightly longer deck area, thanks for the heads up though. Another compromise to consider !!!!

Also I need to add that the MF does have a sun deck on the cabin roof, access by a ladder by the patio door. Does yours not have that ?

I would not go for a MF 805, I had one for a few years.

Good bits
Cabin area is fine
Sun deck on the roof can be great also good for diving off
The main or Volvo engines are very solid and give little trouble.

Not so good bits
Quite noisy underway as engine is under cabin
A wet boat lots of water over the front which can affect visability (I tend to take my boat out in most weathers so may not affect you)
Rear deck space is quite small but ok for 2 to fish
The fuel tank was not big enough for me I always seemed to be thinking about filling up. I got about 1.8l to 1nm out of it.
Getting to the anchor locker in poor weather was somewhat risky.
Need to take care in a steep following sea as the stern can try to catch up the bow... Need to be on and off the throttle to manage it.

A bow thruster helps greatly with close quarters handling.

Can't comment on a Rodman.

I would not go for a MF 805, I had one for a few years.

Good bits
Cabin area is fine
Sun deck on the roof can be great also good for diving off
The main or Volvo engines are very solid and give little trouble.

Not so good bits
Quite noisy underway as engine is under cabin
A wet boat lots of water over the front which can affect visability (I tend to take my boat out in most weathers so may not affect you)
Rear deck space is quite small but ok for 2 to fish
The fuel tank was not big enough for me I always seemed to be thinking about filling up. I got about 1.8l to 1nm out of it.
Getting to the anchor locker in poor weather was somewhat risky.
Need to take care in a steep following sea as the stern can try to catch up the bow... Need to be on and off the throttle to manage it.

A bow thruster helps greatly with close quarters handling.

Can't comment on a Rodman.

Thanks Steve for these comments, I have been on a 815 on several occasions(generally in good conditions) and I agree on the noise. Also I’m not that keen on the throttle control as it looks a bit flimsy .
But, they do have a nice layout. I am looking forward to viewing the Rodman as it has 3 berths, one double and a single, without having to convert the lounge !!
Due to the engine being under the deck rather than the cabin floor !
Must say I’m leaning more toward the Rodman.

I believe that Rodman used to be marketed as a 760 or 780

When I saw one at a show years ago I decided to change boats from my Duver 23, got very close to buying one before I decided to build one nearer to my exact requirements, hence Alfresco.

Look forward to hearing what you think of a Rodman after sea trials