Breakdown

sparky

A very big thank you to Allan G, Dave L. and Dave S for coming to my rescue today.

Coming into the quay in the 6 knot limit Marichelle suddenly surged to full power, I dropped her out of gear but engine still running at high speed, luckily it did turn off with key!

Dave S called Allan who came back and kindly towed us back to Cobbs, engine started and was running correctly, but got her towed to pontoon in case the same thing happened again!

Any ideas chaps, gonna get vodia machine plugged in anyway but just wondered if anyone has heard of this problem before ?

Thanks again boys !!!

That,s my theory Dave, seems to be an intermittent problem as was our last trip where she lost power twice and then no problem after that.

Strange really as the boat was running fine, then a little blip and then big problem!

Spoke to a guy this morning who is going to get there sometime this week and plug his machine in and access any fault codes which should point towards the problem............hopefully !!!

Thanks Kev for sending me his number.

21 hours ago, sparky said:

A very big thank you to Allan G, Dave L. and Dave S for coming to my rescue today.

Coming into the quay in the 6 knot limit Marichelle suddenly surged to full power, I dropped her out of gear but engine still running at high speed, luckily it did turn off with key!

Dave S called Allan who came back and kindly towed us back to Cobbs, engine started and was running correctly, but got her towed to pontoon in case the same thing happened again!

Any ideas chaps, gonna get vodia machine plugged in anyway but just wondered if anyone has heard of this problem before ?

Thanks again boys !!!

P1050154.JPG

On 15/04/2018 at 11:25 AM, sparky said:

That,s my theory Dave, seems to be an intermittent problem as was our last trip where she lost power twice and then no problem after that.

Strange really as the boat was running fine, then a little blip and then big problem!

Spoke to a guy this morning who is going to get there sometime this week and plug his machine in and access any fault codes which should point towards the problem............hopefully !!!

Thanks Kev for sending me his number.

Let's hope so Mick.;)

He can only find a fault if it's there.

Intermittent faults can be a B**ger to find.

Hi Sparky,

I had a similar problem with my out-board motor a few years ago.

While in forward it suddenly raced forward without my input.

It turned out to be a faulty control cable, the outer sleeve had collapsed under load due to unseen internal corrosion.

This not only stopped the gears working correctly but also held the throttle open in neutral.

Replaced both control cable for the more expensive stainless-steel type and to date have had no further issues.

Many years ago, now

I witnessed a Ford Transit diesel engine rev to destruction on the M6 due to too much oil in the sump.

The engine used the excess lubrication oil as fuel regardless of the throttle openings and the driver was unable to turn the engine off.

It final stopped when a con rod broke and to oil poured out onto the road.

Hope it’s something simple

Mikey B

Hi Mikey,

Thanks for the input, luckily my engine turned off with the key !!!

An hour later it was all working ok, think it is " fly by wire " controls, the only cable comes from the control lever in cabin to the electronic control box under the seats.

Hopefully engineer is there tomorrow as he said he would from our conversation earlier..........very wary of going out before someone has looked at boat.

Throttle position sensor has been mentioned.

Mick

Engineer went to boat Saturday and put his Vodia machine on , he cleared several minor codes, apparently the problem I had was the THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR

playing up!!

Cleared the code and all ok, but I have asked him to fit a new sensor anyway.

He also checked fuel pick up in tank but that was all ok.