Bass Regs 2018 - C&R

charlieannear

Please see below for information regarding the photographing and/or measurement of catch and release Bass:

Hello everyone

Defra and the MMO have provided me with the following statement with regards to the weighing/photographing of bass under the current regulations which require, “immediate release” of bass caught recreationally. This is an issue which was raised with us by anglers and therefore required clarification.

The main intention of the European Regulations, which restrict landings of bass, is to protect the stock for the long-term sustainability of the fishery.

The current rules in place for recreational fishers and angling for bass are limited to catch and release only throughout 2018.  This means that any bass caught during 2018 must be returned immediately. This applies if you are fishing from a boat or from the shore.

We have been made aware of the confusion this has raised within the recreational angling sector where fish are usually weighed and photographed, during competition conditions, for example.

We are able to clarify that for enforcement purposes we interpret the term ‘immediately’ to mean as soon as practicable to maximise the chance of survivability.  During any inspection it would be the responsibility of the individual to demonstrate this and to assist enforcement officers in determining that this is the case.  We would encourage angling competition organisers to ensure that competition rules explicitly include provisions to promote an effective catch-and-release process which encourages competitors to adhere to safe and careful fish handling techniques, and to encourage fish being returned to the sea as soon as reasonably practicable after capture.

It would be helpful if you could inform your local clubs and competition organisers. We will be including this in the next Sea Update email to our members.

Have a very Happy Easter.

Regards

David

David Mitchell

Head of Marine | Angling Trust

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

I would fully agree with this apart from a few things:

As MB says: Commercials can still catch them.

Introducing SEALS to the Bass nursery:

No one to police shore fishing ( British or not )

Holiday makers just ignoring it.

I dare say there's many more unfair things but these came straight to my head.:(

Thank you Charlie.

You put a lot of work into this for us and translate a lot of Jargon so people like me can understand it. ;)

Jim

Presumably if we deep hook one and it unfortunately doesn’t survive we are expected to throw it back dead? I’m not sure how that sits with me really - a real waste. 

I think if it’s gut hooked and you can’t save it, it’s ok to take. Don’t quote me on this but I’m pretty sure that’s the rule. At least it was last season!

Maybe somebody more in the know will correct me ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i remember when Hugh Fernlywhatshisface did a program about discards. He was on a boat off Hastings i think  and they had no quota for cod. They kept the cod they caught and when they returned to shore they threw them over the side and there were "locals" on the beach with waders and nets picking the dead cod from the water and taking them. Apparently as the boat hadn't landed them then no offence was committed. Maybe we could do the same with bass?

Can i hear any tackle shops moaning cause they cant hold any Bass comps? thus loosing business?

nor can i

PJ

The tackle industry did send representatives to Brussels this time, but I agree, they need to be a lot more vocal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The tackle industry did send representatives to Brussels this time, but I agree, they need to be a lot more vocal.

Would a section of the tackle sales not go up ? Ie lures and jellies etc. If catch and release is all that’s allowed then surely people will change their habits and buy more gear for spinning instead of live/fresh bait fishing ?
Or is that being too optimistic ?

France has had a very active lure angling culture for bass for many years. The range of soft plastics, plugs, and metal lures in every tackle shop over there is truly staggering (as are some of the prices!).

The French bass anglers I've met are verging on fanatical, and artificials are at the heart of their angling, from boat as well as shore.

There's a chance that British anglers will go the same way - if supported by the more adventurous tackle shops, and if the bass stocks warrant the investment by individual anglers.

Gone are the days of Redgills or nothing.

France has had a very active lure angling culture for bass for many years. The range of soft plastics, plugs, and metal lures in every tackle shop over there is truly staggering (as are some of the prices!).

The French bass anglers I've met are verging on fanatical, and artificials are at the heart of their angling, from boat as well as shore.

There's a chance that British anglers will go the same way - if supported by the more adventurous tackle shops, and if the bass stocks warrant the investment by individual anglers.

Gone are the days of Redgills or nothing.

That’s what I mean so, if that kind of fishing does take off then you can kind of understand tackle shops not making a noise about it !

That’s what I mean so, if that kind of fishing does take off then you can kind of understand tackle shops not making a noise about it !

The tackle shops need to stock the stuff before we can buy it. It they don’t...

The tackle shops need to stock the stuff before we can buy it. It they don’t...

That is a good point, I’m sure many will start if the enquiries come in and the trend starts to change.