flounder fishing in the harbour

malc lemoignan

Hi Hope i have done everything right.I fish the harbour for Flounders mainly Holes Bay from November to February ive fished hard since 1988 would like to compare notes and get heads up about flounder fishing from a local some of you will have waved to me in Holes Bay i am a member of PHA and keep my dinghy in the racks at the slipway i did contact a local called Alan Rogerson about 15 years ago but have lost contact with him.Hope some one can help thanks

Hi and Welcome!

I think the flounder fishing has gone down hill in the last 10 yrs. Not one of my target species, but that is the impression i get.

We have our flounder comp scheduled for Sunday, and usually it is a close fought battle but the fish are scarce.

Rob

Hi Rob thanks for the reply certainly this winter November December and early January i have really struggled there was a seal 20 metres away watching me on the last trip i have found every 3 or 4 years i seem to struggle i reassess what i am doing then go back to what i have always done and the next winter its all ok again????

Holes bay has been hammered, I have seen a few bait boats circling and dredging on many occasions.

Last years shore competition was a total failure, 64 anglers , three fish caught (up by the railway bridge )

Nothing positive to report from any location or area  !

Hi Hooky thank you, seems the trend is no matter where you fish there arent any flounders i also fish hard for cod around the needles thats hard work as well???? i will give it 3 more trips and wash the dinghy down till next November Hooky do you boat fish for flounders?

i have heard several of your clubs members talking on the vhf it looks like on the right forecast push off shore to get some sport

once again thanks

Yes; I'm one of a few that fish evenings from a boat in the harbour .

I have had a few nice fish over past few years but caught just as much from the shore.

Sorry to be negative but I feel sure it's never going to be what it was .

All of us need to be happy with a fish or two on that odd occasion from the harbour .

Those old favourite areas that were kept a little hush have also been very poor .

Christchurch harbour is the same , a decent Flounder is now a rare prize along with loads of other harbour species .

I have fished the harbour since the fifties.In those days there were far less anglers fishing the harbour and you could catch the flounders all year except when they went out to sea to breed,You could catch them everywhere.An example was the blue lagoon at lilliput. From the entrance to the lagoon on the ebb tide   you did not

stop catching them until the ebb stopped.It has to be accepted that over the years with more and more taking up angling that the flounders have been fished out.Up until about three years ago you could catch a few flounders in Holes Bay,including some around the four pound mark but no more.They have got less and less over the last few years.I have good information that for the last couple of years pot baiters

have hammered Holes Bay.Look out for a grey Poole canoe with two old timers in it.Not registered.They are the boys doing it.

If it was not for the plaice and gilt head bream the harbour would not be worth fishing now. As we know trawlers are devastating the bay between Bournemouth and Boscombe Piers.There won't be much left there soon.The plaice will not reach the harbour.

To sum up, the harbour is now overfished and in a minute there will be no fish left.

It will take years to recover if it ever does.

Just out of interest years ago you only caught flounders in the pound to pound and a half range.As the years went by you started to get bigger fish.In those days a four pounder was unheard of. Getting the odd bigger fish is not doubt because

there were not so.many flounders and therefore more food for the odd flounders which were left.My opinion.

Hi Kippercave thanks for the reply i have tried via the PHA to track you down to thank you for the 50 ragworm you gave me about 2/3 weeks ago when i was floundering in my dinghy sorry but they didnt work????? i have never had it as bad as this winter i have fished again today and once again not a bite i have decided to give it 2 more trips then it back to the Needles.My best flounder last year(2017) was 3lbs-5ozs and you are right i have had 1 fish over the 4llbs mark (4-7) what i cant get my head around is the total lack of fish.I will keep in touch with everyone

• 11 months later...

Hi Malcolm 

Used to fish with Allen Rogerson all the time back in the 90s a well known flounder fisherman at that time from boat and shore he move away for a while but have heard he has moved back to Poole but I don't think he fish's anymore you might try and contact Steve Lawrence a local flounder expert I sure he will give you a heads up to where to fish etc

• 1 year later...