Alderney 2018

Steve S

A. Try and stay with the crew you're going with if no spaces available ask if other crews accommodation have a space

B. 12-20lb class rods covers most everything.  Maybe a few frozen mackerel and sandeels to get started on the banks but generally never needed as you will hopefully catch some en- route.  Running ledger is the rig of choice for the banks with 5/0 - 6/0 hooks on 25lb trace line.  Normal wreck gear including jellies/shads in various colours and weights/sizes.

C.  Keep well away from Charlie as he has been known to be a bad influence :glasses:  + he is probably the most experienced skipper going so you will learn loads

D. Cherry poping is very expensive so take plenty of beer tokens :grin:

A. Try and stay with the crew you're going with if no spaces available ask if other crews accommodation have a space

B. 12-20lb class rods covers most everything.  Maybe a few frozen mackerel and sandeels to get started on the banks but generally never needed as you will hopefully catch some en- route.  Running ledger is the rig of choice for the banks with 5/0 - 6/0 hooks on 25lb trace line.  Normal wreck gear including jellies/shads in various colours and weights/sizes.

C.  Keep well away from Charlie as he has been known to be a bad influence :glasses:  + he is probably the most experienced skipper going so you will learn loads

D. Cherry poping is very expensive so take plenty of beer tokens :grin:

Cheers Martin. I’ve never been wreck fishing so can people recommend shads and jellies etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some big (12inch+) wrecking booms like these https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-5-HEAVY-DUTY-WRECKING-Anti-Tangle-Clear-extra-strong-booms-13-long-45-bend/282880204157?hash=item41dcf95d7d:g:kZMAAOSwicpaebPA

and some 6inch sidewinders will do you. If you get a pack of the “Cod Squad” and the “Bass Pack” they’re assorted so you’ll get 6 colours to play with

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sidewinder-Sandeel-Lures-Sandeels-Bass-Lures-Cod-Fishing-Lures-6-or-4/221849631045?hash=item33a744b945:m:m6fHjXO1uIW74-RJ0ChJQQA

As Martin said - you couldn’t be going with a better skipper. 

Edit to add - could be worth taking a heavier rod too, 20/30lb for the Tope fishing off speedy rock out there (plus of course if Charlie gets his “conger fever” on the way home)

Some big (12inch+) wrecking booms like these https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-5-HEAVY-DUTY-WRECKING-Anti-Tangle-Clear-extra-strong-booms-13-long-45-bend/282880204157?hash=item41dcf95d7d:g:kZMAAOSwicpaebPA

and some 6inch sidewinders will do you. If you get a pack of the “Cod Squad” and the “Bass Pack” they’re assorted so you’ll get 6 colours to play with

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sidewinder-Sandeel-Lures-Sandeels-Bass-Lures-Cod-Fishing-Lures-6-or-4/221849631045?hash=item33a744b945:m:m6fHjXO1uIW74-RJ0ChJQQA

As Martin said - you couldn’t be going with a better skipper. 

Edit to add - could be worth taking a heavier rod too, 20/30lb for the Tope fishing off speedy rock out there (plus of course if Charlie gets his “conger fever” on the way home)

Thanks Oli , very useful info indeed. I shall get on eBay and buy buy buy !!
Now, accommodation . Please who is joining Charlie and where are you staying? Or, Charlie, can you let me know where you guys are all laying your heads ? Many thanks all.

Neil

Dad normally stays on the boat or has done everytime I have gone with him.

Heavier rod advice is good as us Chapman's love speedy rock and conger fishing.

Give dad a call im pretty sure he enjoys the planning of a trip nearly as much as going and will talk you through any advice you need.

Sam

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Neil

Dad normally stays on the boat or has done everytime I have gone with him.

Heavier rod advice is good as us Chapman's love speedy rock and conger fishing.

Give dad a call im pretty sure he enjoys the planning of a trip nearly as much as going and will talk you through any advice you need.

Sam

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Thanks Sam, I will PM him and get his number!

Guys I have updated the attendee list with dates they are going.  If you can update your proposed dated it will keep everyone in the loop

1. Tigerfish - Steve + Terry + Graham - (planning on Thurs 10th May to Sun 13th May. Depending on weather could shorten to a 3 days if needed or bring forward a little)

2. Reel Magic - Dave + Craig + Paul  5th - 8th May

3. Joint Venture - Adam + Ian + Alun + Rob (i have taken the liberty to add the usual A-Team)

4. Madness - Martin - Dean - Tony 5th - 8th May
5. Sweet Chariot - Oli + Nick + - 5th - 8th May

6. Kingfisher - Chris + Mal  (looking at 5th - 8th May due to commitments) 

7. Alfresco - Charlie. I will check if the boys want to come if not will be looking for crew.

looks like most of the usual boats are keen to go again. 5th - 8th May

I am holding accommodation but we are going 10th to 13th. Can Joint Venture confirm their dates please?

Where are you booked into ? It may be available for the 5th-8th for me to book! Unless of course you plan to change your dates ?

I have booked our rooms at  Adventures Rest Inn.

Never stayed there before but they had rooms and got 30% off with an early bird deal.

They also give a full refund of deposit if cancelled 72hrs beforehand where as we've lost deposits at others.

Reviews seemed ok and on the harbour side of the town so about as close as possible for number of rooms. Food served and so they say beer too!! 🍻🍻👌👌

stay@adventurersrest.co.uk     Email address I've used for booking.

http://adventurers-rest-inn.business.site/

Most places on the island are quite understanding about postponing and cancellations which happens more often than not but check with wherever you book that they are too. I’ll be staying on board but have stayed in the Simerock before (probably would look to stay somewhere else if I stayed in the island again). 

Aiming for same dates as Charlie. Crew are living it up in the Braye Beach hotel

Guys I have updated the attendee list with dates they are going.  If you can update your proposed dated it will keep everyone in the loop

1. Tigerfish - Steve + Terry + Graham - (planning on Thurs 10th May to Sun 13th May. Depending on weather could shorten to a 3 days if needed or bring forward a little)

2. Reel Magic - Dave + Craig + Paul  5th - 8th May

3. Joint Venture - Adam + Ian + Alun + Rob Thurs 10th May to Sun 13th May

4. Madness - Martin - Dean - Tony 5th May - 8th 5th - 8th May
5. Sweet Chariot - Oli + Nick + - 5th - 8th May

6. Kingfisher - Chris + Mal + Jerry - 5th - 8th May

7. Alfresco - Charlie. I will check if the boys want to come if not will be looking for crew,  looks like most of the usual boats are keen to go again. 5th - 8th May

Weather Gods need to be contacted, and sacrifices agreed!!  :smileys-fish-397701:

No, I personally don't think it is fair to expect someone to put aside two lots of four days, especially a friend. I've never failed to get accommodation before and hope that continues.
Agreed, not sure how it works over there, being the island of qwerk and all that. Thanks Terry.