Alderney 2018

Steve S

Yes it that time of year again!

First the bad news from my look at the tides, the prefered smallest ones don't fall very well over a weekend and some of the neap tides are not very neap.

Tide wise the best dates appear to be: Mon 7th to Sat 12th May with the Sunday a somewhat bigger tide but fine for wrecking.

The smaller tides 2 weeks either side of these dates are not that small. As a reserve date I would plump for Thu 24th May to Sun 27th May but the tides are significantly bigger so very much a reserve date.

Well Tigerfish is planning to make the trip in spite of the mishaps last year (Double Whammy), anyone else?

Ok up to 4 boats already, all old hands, in some cases very old...

Any of the newer/newish members fancy taking their boats over there??, it's quite an experience,. Personally I love going, we normally do a 3 or 4 day trip, either wrecking on the way there and back or just for half a day on the way back, rest on the time fishing the huge banks, but also other choices of targets as well depending on what we think is being caught.

If you're not sure if your boat is up to it, or big enough then just ask the members opinions, some will give sensible answers...

Going with some buddy boats takes a lot of stress out of it and reduces the learning curve.

Neil we have had a couple of 6 metre boats cross the channel in previous years so your Parker would have no problem making the journey your only problem may be fuel.  You need to know what your fuel burn rate (worst case) is and calculate the distance from your berth to Bray harbour plus allow at least 50% extra for hoping wrecks and punching tides.  You would need to check the availability of petrol.  In previous years Mainbrace the quayside chandler has assisted with getting petrol from the local garage (just up the road) to the boat.  A couple of years ago there was talk of them having quayside provision of petrol at their premises but not sure where they are with that.  The petrol supply in alderney is/was doable but needs checking out.  For others watching there is no problem with diesel as this is available quayside 

I'm sure Mainbrace can lay on petrol, would be best to order it before hand so it's ready for you. It would likely be in plastic tanks that will be lowered down to the boat for you to fill from. I've seen it done with a charter boat that was running outboats.

Mainbrace are helpful guys.

I had battery issues on the last trip and rang Mainbrace on the way in, they got the batteries to the quayside, took the old ones away and even had the card machine with them to save me having to go to the shop. Price was good too.

Now that's what you call a great service and going the extra mile, forgot to say it was after hours too.  👍👍

Only problem was it meant we had more time in the bar!! Small sacrifice.  🍺🍺

Neil we have had a couple of 6 metre boats cross the channel in previous years so your Parker would have no problem making the journey your only problem may be fuel.  You need to know what your fuel burn rate (worst case) is and calculate the distance from your berth to Bray harbour plus allow at least 50% extra for hoping wrecks and punching tides.  You would need to check the availability of petrol.  In previous years Mainbrace the quayside chandler has assisted with getting petrol from the local garage (just up the road) to the boat.  A couple of years ago there was talk of them having quayside provision of petrol at their premises but not sure where they are with that.  The petrol supply in alderney is/was doable but needs checking out.  For others watching there is no problem with diesel as this is available quayside 

By my calculations I would run dry 60 miles into the trip !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Tarlach. said:

First time we went we took a couple of drums of fuel and refueled mid-channel.

It was blowing a F4-5 and not an experience I'd recommend but I think we were all a bit eager that year and tend to be a bit more fair-weather now for that trip (well most of us!) so it would certainly be do-able.

First time we went we took a couple of drums of fuel and refueled mid-channel.

It was blowing a F4-5 and not an experience I'd recommend but I think we were all a bit eager that year and tend to be a bit more fair-weather now for that trip (well most of us!) so it would certainly be do-able.

Yes but if I did that I would end using around 560 litres of fuel.........@ £1.30 a litre that’s £728 just on fuel !!!! OUCH

I think it is c.70miles to Alderney, will you only get 60 miles from your 140 litres? (Mind you, you would want 100/110 miles of range incase of bad weather etc).

The FreeBoys guys used to have this sorted on their boats, perhaps Matt will be along to advise.

Rob

49 minutes ago, Rob said:

I think it is c.70miles to Alderney, will you only get 60 miles from your 140 litres? (Mind you, you would want 100/110 miles of range incase of bad weather etc).

The FreeBoys guys used to have this sorted on their boats, perhaps Matt will be along to advise.

Rob

Rob

I'm working on worst case scenario ie, 2 mpg. I think 3 is doable but have to air on caution. plus I have to come from Southampton so that adds another 15\20 miles or so before I even reach the Needles !!

That sounds incredibly high fuel consumption.  When I had a 6 metre boat with a 150hp optimax on depending on weather and tides we used around 1 - 1.25 litres per mile so your .43 miles per litre is enormous.  You would obviously have crew on board who would help with fuel and other costs?  Can't remember what I used the last time I went to Alderney but  I would expect to use around 5/600 litres on my boat for a 4 day trip.  

Your alternative might be to volunteer as crew for another boat.    

That sounds incredibly high fuel consumption.  When I had a 6 metre boat with a 150hp optimax on depending on weather and tides we used around 1 - 1.25 litres per mile so your .43 miles per litre is enormous.  You would obviously have crew on board who would help with fuel and other costs?  Can't remember what I used the last time I went to Alderney but  I would expect to use around 5/600 litres on my boat for a 4 day trip.  

Your alternative might be to volunteer as crew for another boat.    

I think I have this correct but please pull me up if not ...

140 litres = 30 gallons

Fuel consumption at 20knotts/3800 revs = 2.7 mpg

2.7mpg x 30 gallons = 61.4 gallons

61.4 gallons = 280ish litres

280 x £1.30 (per litres) = £364 then x 2

Ok, so my maths calculation was total incorrect, what a dullard.
So 88 nautical miles will take about 32 gallons of petrol (about 150 litres). That’s approx £200 both ways. Then add a bit more so £500 on fuel.
It’s a lot better than my first attempt at working it out but still pricey. Will have to think long and hard !
And maybe engage my brain properly before I think again in public !!

When Serenity MF 695 has done this trip , she has 130 Litre tank and I take 3x 20 Litre containers. Poole entrances to Bray harbour is 59.8 nautical.  The most she has used one way is 160 litres wreckhopping when fully laden with 3 guys and all their kit, trip took 5 hours. It is good to take some guys to share costs and of course be good company. Tony