Webasto heater problem - Fan fault

Steve S

I have a Webasto Air Top 2000 S diesel heater. The rheostat was faulty and I've replaced it (old one kept buzzing and the light flickered on it). So feeling pleased with having sorted it, the heater then started throwing up error code 8 :bawling:.  This is a fan problem apparently, I say apparently as I can hear the fan running until it abruptly stops at the same time as the error code appears.

The heater is located in the engine bay and a couple of times it has worked ok and heated the boat, both times it was when the engines had got the engine bay good and warm, but on another similar occasion it still wouldn't start. On the second occasion it worked I tried just leaving it on set on a low temperature thinking it just needed some regular use but when I came back next day it had the same fault code. The fault code appears between 2 and 8 seconds after turning the heater on.

I have checked the electrical connectors to the resostat and to the heater itself and they appear to be clean but I gave them a dose of electrical lubricant anyway to no effect

Any idea what the problem might be?

Could you recommend anyone to fix it, preferably based in the Lymington area?

Thanks and Happy New Year! :grin:

Check the fuse that supplies the heater has not corroded in the holder, had similar problem on my Webasto heater and that was the cause in my case.

I had a company in Poole sort mine out for me, if you search old forums, several years back now, you may find the post as I put up a recommendation for them...........but cannot remember their name, may have been Keto.

I was advised to run them for 10 minutes once a month summer and winter.

Good Luck

Thanks Mick, not checked the supply fuse, I'll try and locate the fuse tomorrow, mine may be on a breaker, there are rows of them but none labeled Heater but some are labelled 'extra'.

About running the heater regularly, I've been doing that since I've had the boat but for some reason I haven't this year since April...

Ok Steve, hope you get it sorted, there maybe an in line blade fuse somewhere as that's how it was in my boat, in the engine bay and about 5 foot from the heater, it was not marked either !

These in line blade fuses need regular inspection and removal of the fuses for checking for corrosion of the blades and sockets themseves.

When my boat was on F pontoon I had to regularly replace them due to corrosion probably due to galvanic action  as there was no way water or dampness could have  entered the fuse holder. I always keep a few spares on board now.

Hope it turns out to be something simple and cheap Steve

Peteg

• 1 month later...

Here's the end of the story.

There was no blade fuse, mine was connected to a circuit breaker, the heater itself had a fan fault. The estimated cost to repair was very close to the price for a complete new Webasto heater with all the bits!

A no brainer really, I bought a new one and fitted that instead. It did need a bit of adaptation as the wiring loom needed changing and there was some other more minor differences.

All fitted and working now and left on during this cold weather, seems to be working well. As bonus it is noticeably quieter than the old one.

So unfortunately even doing the work myself it proved to be not a cheap repair, but the old one was 11 years old and now I am using a brand new one :grin:.

Here's the end of the story.

There was no blade fuse, mine was connected to a circuit breaker, the heater itself had a fan fault. The estimated cost to repair was very close to the price for a complete new Webasto heater with all the bits!

A no brainer really, I bought a new one and fitted that instead. It did need a bit of adaptation as the wiring loom needed changing and there was some other more minor differences.

All fitted and working now and left on during this cold weather, seems to be working well. As bonus it is noticeably quieter than the old one.

So unfortunately even doing the work myself it proved to be not a cheap repair, but the old one was 11 years old and now I am using a brand new one :grin:.

Nice and toasty !! Good job !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk