Anchor chain and Warp

Kingstonpete

I have 100m 10mm multiplait, 5kg Bruce and 7.5kg of chain (heavier than anchor for Alderney ring, not fussed on length). Boat is 4.8m.

3x your depth is recommended, and more if rough and deep with big tide.

Just think, if you are in trouble you want to be able to hold a good depth. It might be the one thing to keep you off the rocks!

With that in mind, ensure you have something to hand should you want to upgrade you 'tripped' anchor to fixed in an emergency.

R

Thanks for the info.  I had a 34 foot yacht for years before getting my MF 625  but I rarely anchored in deeper water. other than in the channel islands.  My MF currently has  a 7.5 kg  CQR and I have a spare Delta  as well , with 10 metres of 8 mm chain and 50 metres of 12 mm 3 strand warp. I was planning to get a longer length warp hence my question. I think I'll get another 75 metres to supplement my existing setup which should cover all eventualities.

Thanks for your advice guys.

Take care with the join of the extra 75m  to your current 50m.

The proposed combined length is probably fine, if you can guarantee that the splice won't jam in your windlass / lifting arrangement

You don't want to be dangling over the sharp end trying to free it, if the wind picks up.

Charlie (Great White above) can anchor almost anywhere in the English Channel with his arrangement, and does. If you have the space for 200m+, a drum of rope sourced online could be as cheap as 75m bought locally. That would leave your existing 50m as a useful spare for an inshore kedge.

Mike

ROB....when did you last go 'floundering' ?? I 've tried to tempt you for years !!!

True, I pretty much retired after winning the Open in 2007 I think and cleaned up on prizes and Pools! Not even sure how big that one was, no monster but a fine specimen.

I have been with you a few times but not in recent years.

R