Smoked Cod

plaicemat

In anticipation of catching a load, today I did a batch of smoked cod; like smoked haddock only better. I'll bet Trev (Wedger) has tried this and I commend anyone with an interest in food smoking to give it a go. My usual is trout and salmon but I am upping production into other areas. Smoking is not as difficult as you would imagine if you a) follow the basic criteria and b)build yourself a smoker, again easier than you may imagine. I'm on my third one now, they're getting bigger.

Jerry, I hot and cold smoke, meat and fish, in fact, I have a side of bacon curing at present prior to smoking.. Having been involved with shooting and dog training virtually all my life, game features quite highly in the Bartell diet. I don't hot smoke game but cold smoking adds a little more piquancy when pheasant starts to pall. It is not a curing process with game, more adding an extra layer of flavour and it can ve vacuum packed and frozen after the process as long as its done fresh. Obviously, as it's not being cooked, you can't refreeze from frozen. I remember a dinner party when our kids were quite young and my daughter asked what we were doing. I said pheasant and she said, "Good Lord, not again!"

The best book I have is Keith Erlandson's Home Smoking and Curing. It has a fairly straight forward attitude to the subject, other books etc can tend to make it seem overly complicated but, get rid of the flim flam and you will soon be on your way and devising your own cures and techniques. If you need any advise, give me a call, I'm not a million miles away from you.

Mrs gummage gave me a selection of different smoking dusts for Christmas. ....Oak ,applewood, hickory,maple..etc. And I use it in a brooks original smoker. It's very good but this year I couldn't stop my crew from using all the mackerel as bait!

Assuming you are hot smoking which fuel would be your first choice for cod.?

If you're looking to get the authentic smoked haddock type flavour it has to be oak or possibly beech. Hickory and fruit woods like apple I tend to use for meat, apple for example is very good with pork. At present I have a side of belly pork curing in a mixture of salt, brown sugar and maple syup (sweet cure) which will be smoked with hickory to produce a lovely bacon.