Mariner 50 HP

Raymond Ellerton

Sounds like a bad cable live or earth maybe from the battery, Once you have checked the connections I would also check for a fuse under the cowling, I had a merc 2 stroke that blew the 20amp fuse and that killed the ignition and trim, until i replaced it. It had corroded inside the fuse holder tiny bit of water ingress got to it. Also make sure the fuse holder has not pulled apart if its the barrel type with glass blow fuses.

You should also have a main fuse in the loom some where near your ignition switch.

Mike

Ok got the tilt working (battery was low. The solenoid still clicking did get a little bit of starter movement so think the starter motor is ok . Think i need a new solenoid as one of the terminals is moving when i try to tighten the nut . Anyone know where i can get one in the UK ? 50HP Mariner 2 Stroke

I would suggest you check the part number on the unit you have fitted. But have a look here, 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-Mercury-Mariner-Starter-Solenoid-2-Stroke-Outboard-89-850187T1/263267710353?epid=1916147440&hash=item3d4bfa7591:g:Hv8AAOSwrOtZsDZx

If you cant find anyone local I would suggest you give the above company a call, they helped me get a new carb for a merc outboard, I would drop them an email or a call to check the part matches yours.

Mike