Mono or braid for uptiding?

Tarlach.

Mono has the better potential to catch the tide and keep the bow in the line, of which of course you need for uptiding or cheaper thick braid.

Thanks,

Rob

Thanks Rob, what kind of strength? I was thinking around 18lb ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do a bit of uptiding, well lots of people still say mono and I think it is probably better in shallow water say 30ft or less but for deeper water up a 100ft (max depth I've tried uptiding) with our tides I think braid is the only way to not drag the weight downtide, as Charlie does I use 30lb whiplash pro, still puts enough bend in the rod at that depth.

I do a bit of uptiding, well lots of people still say mono and I think it is probably better in shallow water say 30ft or less but for deeper water up a 100ft (max depth I've tried uptiding) with our tides I think braid is the only way to not drag the weight downtide, as Charlie does I use 30lb whiplash pro, still puts enough bend in the rod at that depth.

Interesting...... I suppose that makes sense. This is why I asked the question because I have used 20lb mono in the past with a 10oz gripper. I find it tough to hold the bottom in 60 ft of water and a bit of tide (probably a bit more than a bit)!

I'm trying to perfect the art of uptiding and it's good to know how others do it !!

I use 25lb mono in anything upto about 60 ft deep - don't have too much of a problem - occasionally need fixed wires - never more than 6oz - important not to go too big with baits so they sink quickly. Braid I found used to snap off on rough bottom.

Not so Rob - Stuie uses his uptider in everything up to 80ft and catches way more than on the downtiders.

I just need to learn how to do it properly to keep up with him.

More importantly - have the proper gear and know how to use it!

I used to uptide a fair bit, on the east coast out of Felixstowe mono worked fine more recently (well about 12 years ago) fishing out of Portsmouth  on the other side of the Island could only really fish effectively with braid in the deeper water.

Agree about the bait size, the uptiders were usually whiting baits with downtiders had big cod baites in winter, in summer don't think there was a huge difference in the smoothy and tope catches between the two methods

I used to uptide a fair bit, on the east coast out of Felixstowe mono worked fine more recently (well about 12 years ago) fishing out of Portsmouth on the other side of the Island could only really fish effectively with braid in the deeper water.

Agree about the bait size, the uptiders were usually whiting baits with downtiders had big cod baites in winter, in summer don't think there was a huge difference in the smoothy and tope catches between the two methods

The idea of uptiding for me is to be able to fish more of the tide, in the Solent even 2lb of lead will not hold you on the bottom (oooer), I dont though want to be scaling down bait and catching pin whiting.

What's the best way then do you think to get a bigger bait to hold bottom if not on the uptide method ?

this type of fishing is used for fishing in 100 feet or less of water, cast up tide of boat not over anchor rope let line out until lead is set then let more line out until there is a bow in the line back to the rod when fish takes you will see the rod move and line will start to go down tide do not strike just reel in as fast as possible until the fish is felt then play fish as normal 

graham

When I lived in the Pompey area I uptide fished most of the time, with some success

After moving my home and boat to Poole that changed due to depths and currents

Some years ago I found a few shallower spots and went back to uptiding. It was fun and pretty successful, but after a while I got fed up with just doing that and changed again.

recent good ray catches have seen me casting uptide again with grip leads, good results have seen me dust off the uptiders and when the weather allows I look forward to trying them again.

In deeper water or faster tides cast more uptide , as the tide eases or in shallows you can cast more across it.

another big advantage is the self hooking that you get from using the grip weights.

Good luck