Best all round boat multi....?

Tarlach.

With regards to reels you need to speak to Dave lynes, the reel wizard and a very good angler with a intimate knowledge of reels both from a spares and maintenance view point and usuage.

It will probably be easier to tell you the reels to avoid and there are a few that disappoint.

Finor reels have a good reputation for build quality, it is all about keeping that salt water out or the ability to drain out after a rinse off.

Good luck.

What's your budget? - there is sooo much out there.

Good main stream.

I use Daiwa Saltist for pretty much everything. I have 3 of the older ones in 30 size 6.4:1 and did have a fantastic twin speed, wide body lever drag (got knicked).

Both exceptional reels, especially the twin speed 6.3 /3.1:1, for all situations from wrasseing to wrecking,

Both these reels cast well.

top end

Accurate, fin nor avet etc

Whatever reel you go for ( I have the Saltist collection 20HA, 30HA and the 40HA)

They will only last if you take great care of them. I religiously clean mine after every use and have them serviced by Dave Lines annually, they are 5 years old now and are just as good as the day I bought them.

Also, you get what you pay for. Expect to spend over £150.00.

Greg

I am enjoying the Penn Fathom 15, 2 speed at the moment, it is useful to select low gear when foul hooking a ray and pulling it up like a kite. Shop around as with all reels, the same model can vary in prices by 30%.

Another good reel for shore and most boat work (haven't tried it with big stuff) is the Penn 525 mag 2 which have really dropped in price over the last few years. I bough this for shore fishing and take it as my reserve reel for boat. Very happy up tiding with this. Fully agree with Greg, clean after use and get Dave to service annually and they last for years (until a new shiny one catches your eye being used by a mate or in the shop).

Currently sat in the house wondering where the wind is that made us cancel todays trip out, must be coming this afternoon.

I have half an hour ago come across the holes bay relief road and nearly got blown off it. 

OP sorry for the thread drift now reels:

I have an ABU 7000c Synchro which is about 25 years and is still good, so good in fact that it is my preferred reel for medium fishing including uptiding but alas these are no longer made.  Other posters above have put up some good advice

I have walked around Hengisbury this morning, i can assure you the wind was present!

Highcliffe sailing club on Mudeford have a good anemometer with history:

https://weatherfile.com/?loc_id=GBR00004

3133ae439d59d4f04c125bfc4659b70c.jpg

Thanks Rob

I must say I had the same thoughts as Ian when I got up this morning

Sorry guys not to over write the thread, myself and Blake went out this morning and came in at 3.30 had a great day lots of rays, big Wrasse, Gurnard but no spotties.

Swash was flat calm until 1 then a stiff breeze built through the afternoon but fishable, worst conditions was the last drift at stakes!!

Interesting caught a couple with the same markings as last weekend, they must be getting used to being caught now. ;)

Avets used all day if that helps?

Thanks for all the replies. One thing I forgot to mention is that I need left hand wind !! Also those reels with level wind are not great for uptide casting as they restrict the line release.

Anyone know of a left hand wind with lever clutch? I am struggled by the find one that does not cost the same as a house !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Lh winds, For £130 ish you can get a good all rounder with a penn fathom 25 good for all uses, will cast no problem, handle big fish and easy to service and maintain. The abu7000 does a LH wind but not as good and the swedish are not manufacturing anymore and quality is down the pan, I took two back with faults. Avet do LH winds and quality but more expensive.

I use Lh winds, For £130 ish you can get a good all rounder with a penn fathom 25 good for all uses, will cast no problem, handle big fish and easy to service and maintain. The abu7000 does a LH wind but not as good and the swedish are not manufacturing anymore and quality is down the pan, I took two back with faults. Avet do LH winds and quality but more expensive.

Thanks Mal, I will look closer at the penn. The ones I saw just seemed a bit too strong, more for much bigger fish but I suppose if I do happen to be lucky enough to snare a monster !!

Ahhh I see why I discounted them, the left hand does not have a lever drag!!

Guess I will have to stick to a star drag system!

The7000 I mentioned earlier does have a level wind but shore or boat I have never found it to be a problem as we are not tournement casting.

I thought you were after a combination

although I still use the 7000,s my preferred option are my Avet SX or MX

LH lever drags a little limited but Avets fit the bill.

mine arenot good casting reels but they do come with brakes for that purpose

If you can drop the requirement for level wind you will have a lot more choice.

IMO  level wind adds nothing to a reel, just make for more complication, extra bits for salt to get in and for the line to tangle in. With braid there is so much capacity in the spools even if you don't spread line much with your thumb like during a fight the build up in the centre will not be too bad.

Not sure there is Neil.

You may have to settle for 3 out of 4 from your list

in which case I would go for the Avet MX LH with brakes, its narrow spool makes line control easier.

Or think out of the box and go for a tough large fixed spool

I use Fin Nor Offshore and Cobot large spinning  reels on Holiday,

They have casting ability

Line lay

LH or RH handle positions

and a drag that is far more powerful than any of my multipliers,

If they can tame tropical fish there isn't much in the UK that could bother them.

Not sure there is Neil.

You may have to settle for 3 out of 4 from your list

in which case I would go for the Avet MX LH with brakes, its narrow spool makes line control easier.

Or think out of the box and go for a tough large fixed spool

I use Fin Nor Offshore and Cobot large spinning reels on Holiday,

They have casting ability

Line lay

LH or RH handle positions

and a drag that is far more powerful than any of my multipliers,

If they can tame tropical fish there isn't much in the UK that could bother them.

I've ended up going for a Penn fathom 20 LH LW.

I own two large 10'000 size shimano ci4 ultegra FS reels which are great for beach casting, if I don't get on uptiding with the Penn then I shall probably just use it for down tide fishing and move one of the shimano's onto the boat to take its place !

Thanks for all the recommendations and advice. Maybe one day somebody will make my dream reel without the need for a compromise somewhere (just like boats really, no such thing as the perfect boat)!

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Having filled my new Penn fathom with line I gave it a go last weekend and it seemed to cast just fine (apart from the birds nest when the line slipped from below my thumb mid cast)!

So, taking the slip into account, if I have wet digits what can I use to grip the line whilst casting? Or is it just a case of whip yer hands before you cast ?

With FS reels I use a leather finger pouch, could this be utilised effectively if transferred to the thumb ?

The spool tensioner on the side will stop most over runs, I assume you mean a 30yrd lob rather a full on cast.

30yds...... I consider that quite good , but yes not a full pendulum from the deck !!