Engine Talk

Mikey B

Hello All,

Our fishing trip was brought to an abrupt halt yesterday (Sunday).

We set of bright and early for some fishing by Old Harry.

One the way out in the main shipping channel near Brownsea Castle all the engine instruments shut down.

This is odd because the motor was running fine as was the radio and navigation equipment.

Not being able to see anything wrong I took the cautious approach and headed back to the slipway thinking if I stop the motor will it start again while a sea?

On arrival in the shallows at Baiter Park we dropped the anchor for a better look.

Turned off the ignition and on re trying everything went dead?

Now unable to raise the motor we waited for the tide to drop before putting the boat back on the trailer for a better look on dry land.

Back in the car park it was plain to see the rectifier had caught fire under the engine cover.

See photos of the offending item when removed.

The damage was confined to the rectifier although the two yellow wire look like the need to be replaced.

Good job I turned around as if could have been a lot worse.

I would urge members with the same motor to check the back of the rectifier from time to time.

Replacement parts, wire, fuses etc £280.00inc Vat.

Mikey B

post-212-0-31911800-1502177455_thumb.jpg

post-212-0-29316700-1502177539_thumb.jpg

post-212-0-10628900-1502177555_thumb.jpg

post-212-0-70515600-1502177568_thumb.jpg

Depending on brand - they often do a motorboke version that is alot cheaper. I get many of my Yamaha bits from Cresent Yamaha in Charminster. The gaskets & o-rings etc for my carb servicing were the last things i ordered.

I have a spare rectifier as once i thought i needed to replace mine - i got it cheap second hand\refurb motorbike one - only difference i can see was the connectors use slightly different plugs.

I think they can go if you run the engine without the battery connected - any chance your main battery switch closed \ failed or terminal connector lost conection?

R

Depending on brand - they often do a motorboke version that is alot cheaper. I get many of my Yamaha bits from Cresent Yamaha in Charminster. The gaskets & o-rings etc for my carb servicing were the last things i ordered.

I have a spare rectifier as once i thought i needed to replace mine - i got it cheap second hand\refurb motorbike one - only difference i can see was the connectors use slightly different plugs.

I think they can go if you run the engine without the battery connected - any chance your main battery switch closed \ failed or terminal connector lost conection?

R

Excellent call Rob

having nowhere for the charge to go is the normal cause of a rectifier overheating issue. 

many times found to be the battery or switch terminals

Well done Mike. Good post.

Yours is a Yamaha 30 I believe ? ?

Well done all for your input.

I think I'll make a point of cleaning my battery terminals.

I'm assuming to smear with vaseline afterwards same as a car ? ? 

Jim

That's what I do, plenty of Vaseline.

Seems like it was the weekend for it, Went down to fiddle with the new auxiliary engine and brackets I fitted a couple of weeks ago.

Thought Ide get her thrown in to test it and run the engine up as I've not started her for a couple of weeks. Every thing is dead.

Blown main fuse! I put a few spare bits on board when I started using her and fuse kit was one. the fuse I took out was corroded looks like a little water ingress into the fuse holder.

Changed fuse and cant get her started. Whipped plug out no spark! Lucky I'm still on the pontoon. Turns out the kill switch had shorted out and failed. £64.00 lighter and now need a few hours of dry weather so I can rip the wiring loom apart, I'm pretty sure I'm going to find some faulty connectors in there likely the cause of the fuse blow.

Mike