Engine change

jerry.shutter

I think I have made the decision to change my outboard to an inboard. It has been suggested I put a Volvo penta D4 300hp I think, and a leg. The servicing I know will be more, but running costs will be dramatically less I believe along with better cruising and top speed.

I believe Dave on Reel Magic has this set up on his slightly larger Breaksea?

Any comments,positive,negative or otherwise greatfully received, other than I will require a second mortgage!!!

Dave has an iveco in his on a shaft.

My boat, Charlie's and Steves all run D4's on DPH outdrives.

I don't know what your boat is? So can't comment on how it would perform, however it is gender accepted that the D4 is a solid and capable engine. Ditto the DPH drive. As with all modern engines, super clean fuel is the biggest must. Servicing costs similar to other inboards. Basically fluids and filters every year, and a few seals in the outdrive.

I guess the only risk could be if you are moored in the water all the time, you don't have the ability to lift the leg clear of the water and this can cause additional maintenance.

Hi Jerry as Adam has said I've got a Ivcoe 420 on a shaft with a 5 bladed prop it's a great set up for me she does 2ltr to the mile little maintenance yes a little over gunned but we'll worth it as owned a 250 arvor previous and always felt it struggled a bit the plus sides with shaft drive is that it could cost up to a grand a year to service a leg a

year

Charlie is lucky as he can sort a lot of he's problems out very quickly with his background and his children Adam is again lucky having built his boat and is dry stacked he can get issue's with the leg sorted quickly

My thoughts good luck

Dave

Jerry, I've got a couple of D4 260s, I keep the boat in the water. I like the engine leg setup and would certainly get them again. The engines and legs are pretty trouble free and Volvo have fixed issues that used to occur. The plus for legs over a shaft for me is more economical and I can raise them to free off ropes if needed (I've had to do this) it's also been handy to raise them somewhat when in some very skinny water, the neg for legs is they are more complex than a straight shaft so more expensive if trouble.

I service the legs myself, it's no great trouble, new anodes (if needed), change gearbox oil and grease drive shaft (props need removing to change gearbox oil), lube gear change mechanism, antifoul and that's pretty much it. The cost is the gearbox oil and anodes as required.

Make sure the steering rams have gaters over the shafts otherwise they will leak after a time.

Dan Chapman services the engine's and he does a good job, suggest you ask him what he would charge, I buy all the parts myself.

The implication here is that you really like the boat design, but want the convenience of diesel. My gut feel is that it would be significantly cheaper to sell, and buy the same (or similar) boat with diesel already, and low engine hours.

We spent several years investigating options to replace or upgrade our previous boat, and it finally came down to a brutal assessment of incremental benefit and potential, "want v need", and cost v budget.

Sometimes waiting for the right boat pays dividends :)

Good luck!

Must admit I have always had boats small enough to run outboards,never had a inboard.

I do seem to see a lot of boats with legs in bits being repaired,not so with an outboard.

also to remove outboard is 4 bolts.

I would agree with Mike Fox that it would be less hassle to change boats,

you should have no problem selling yours as a lot of people are going over to outboards.

All great advice, many thanks, all the above is what I have been told and believe to be correct. Mechanics are certainly not my strong point but enjoy learning and time should be available fairly soon

I am a good apprentice Steve! so after February 2018 give me a shout and I will come and pass spanners when you service your legs if you need help.

I have looked at the new boat scenario and had a buyer for mine but to spec it to what mine is, and what I paid,it is worth it. I have a buyer for the engine and pod so it is about as good as I can get it I think.

I will speak with Pete again Dave but know he is keen on the leg and VP.

Thanks for all advice and help guys it's a big sea out there and just as you think you know a bit about something you quickly realise you know nothing!!!!!!

Hi Jerry

Launched Alfresco after fitting her out ourselves nearly 10 years ago.

She is an offshore pro charter 30 and has the D4 260HP which was the biggest D4 Volvo made back then.

DPH drive leg with Duo G5 props is a very efficient drive

Apart from a few issues that come with this configuration it has proved to be a good choice. Especially as we do our own maintenance and have lots of contacts to help if we need it.

I mention the size of my offshore and engine because I question if you would need 300hp

Alfresco does 31 knots WOT 3600 RPM and cruises at 20 knots 2500 RPM

To be honest the hull design seems to make 20 knots a comfortable and economic speed [1.5 ltrs per mile]

the other things to consider is both the layout and balance of the boat after the change. some space is lost ahead of the transom by the engine box and the weight of the diesel engine is more than the outboard and again is in a different place.

Gary Austin also fitted out his own Offshore 25. Prodigy is fitted with a Volvo inboard and drive

She is a great boat with very similar performance and economy to mine

this was achieved with a 230hp.

He found that large trim tabs were required and at slow speed the boat became bow heavy

If you want to discuss this more or look at Alfresco give me a call.

Hi Jerry

Launched Alfresco after fitting her out ourselves nearly 10 years ago.

She is an offshore pro charter 30 and has the D4 260HP which was the biggest D4 Volvo made back then.

DPH drive leg with Duo G5 props is a very efficient drive

Apart from a few issues that come with this configuration it has proved to be a good choice. Especially as we do our own maintenance and have lots of contacts to help if we need it.

I mention the size of my offshore and engine because I question if you would need 300hp

Alfresco does 31 knots WOT 3600 RPM and cruises at 20 knots 2500 RPM

To be honest the hull design seems to make 20 knots a comfortable and economic speed [1.5 ltrs per mile]

the other things to consider is both the layout and balance of the boat after the change. some space is lost ahead of the transom by the engine box and the weight of the diesel engine is more than the outboard and again is in a different place.

Gary Austin also fitted out his own Offshore 25. Prodigy is fitted with a Volvo inboard and drive

She is a great boat with very similar performance and economy to mine

this was achieved with a 230hp.

He found that large trim tabs were required and at slow speed the boat became bow heavy

If you want to discuss this more or look at Alfresco give me a call.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Charlie,

Rob it's a Breaksea 25, basically an Offshore 25. I have confidence in Pete Watts the boatbuilder, and he has fitted many inboards to this size boat, and as he built it knows what has got to change from ob version. At the moment I have a Yamaha 225, I could be wrong saying it's 300hp it could be 250, all I know is performs very well in this boat from figures stated!!

Why not get a newer outboard for better fuel economy?

Tomo had a 225 on his pirate and that I believe was ok on fuel. Except when he had a problem with some fuel regulator, it then drank like a fish.

R

i would have thought a new outboard would give you near enough equal performance and running costs and a lot cheaper installation than a new engine and leg and all the alterations needed to fit. You wouldn't lose any deck space and modern outboards now seem to be just as reliable as inboards, just look at the new big cat charter boats swapping to outboards. 

Found the old post:

"

If its a major fault they address the problem on next years model....I know this from first hand experience ...ask PaulD , we nearly run out of fuel coming back from Alderney(luckily we had spare tanks on board) all because of a known fault on the o2 sensor on my Honda 225!!! which costs about �600 to repair when the punter realises! but was done under warranty

"

Don't confuse me chaps!!!!! It's taken a long time to come to my decision!!

I believe that present charter skippers on registered boats get a lot of help re tax on petrol, I looked into registering the boat to gain this advantage but apart from probably being illegal the costs did not work out for a private boat----not surprisingly.

Changing to inboard diesel over outboard petrol will save me nearly 45% per trip out on fuel. A really big investment, but as I am retiring next year I want to use the boat as much as I want to,and not feel guilty that a trip out round the bay and back and hopefully some further a field is costing mega bucks each time.

It's all in the head!!

But having spoken to others in the club and many other experienced skippers THINK this is the way forwards.

One wise man in Monaco told me if it flies,floats or f--- rent it. This is true but I love my wife and my boat and don't have a pilots license!!!!

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Guessing the numbers:

£15k for new setup

A few quid for old engine and hopefully add some value to your craft.

Net cost £8000 and saving 45% on fuel means you need to spend £17,777 on fuel before you start saving.

That is quite a bit.

R

Rob I think your numbers are way to low but that aside spending money on boats is never logical because we don't do it to make a gain, we do it because we can and because we enjoy it.

Jerry do what you feel is right (I know you will whatever anyone says) it's for you and will make you happy albeit for a short space of time as it will soon become normal again.  Whatever you do, do not try to justify the expenditure as you never will.  I know that's right as I am constantly reminded bye her who must (usually) be obeyed :)  

As Martin says its down to you Jerry

It is hard to use finances and logic as justification.

Spending the money that we do on our boats tackle and fishing cannot be justified against costs. 

For the amount of fish we eat, I could dine in Rick Stiens every time I fancied a fish dinner and be much better off.

But on a sunny warm day when the weather is calm, family or friends have joined you to play boats or fish who would swap it??

When I fitted out Alfresco I chose a £20K 260 hp Volvo package as opposed to a £13k 230HP mercruiser

It gives more speed, better efficiency and reliability. And more fun

10 years on still think its the right choice.

Martin,

A very well put togeather eloquent post, in many respects.

Unfortunately you are correct, Robs figures are WAY out, I wish you were right Rob!!!!!

I want a new engine on the boat, it's mad, I am SO lucky being in a position to do it but it's all a balance, with the actual figures Rob a few trips to the Shambles and hopefully the Skerries in the future and even Alderney the figures will get back in my favour, after I think around 18 months.

It's all useful information from everyone, many thanks.

Jerry

Just to add my two pennies worth, it might be asking around other owners of the same craft with inboard/outdrive to come up with the best combination for you and if they have had any issues.

I had a look around boats for sale and you could be cheeky and go out for a trial to see what you like/dislike before going ahead with the change over