winch

Sorry for the delay, Mick, I have been busy with visitors for 3 weeks. I had three choices, battery wise. 1) Fixed battery on the trailer 2) hard wire the car with an anderson connector on the back by the towbar 3) a battery box in the boot of the car with the override switch mounted and a length of cable with a male anderson connector leading to the female one mounted on the winch post of the trailer. I discarded the first as sometimes the battery can get swamped (Baiter) and will be inconvenient to charge. The second proved to be a fairly expensive and awkward option and, as I'm thinking of changing the car in the near future, not a viable choice. So, I went for the third option which is proving to be very workable and I just put the battery back in the garage on the solar charger when I return home.

If you want any other info, let me know.

Thanks Terry,

I have got battery box which i strap to trailer just before putting trailer in water to retrieve boat.

Have fitted quick release clamps to winch cables,

Have to watch water level at Baiter.

Cant use your set-up as trailer too far away from car at Baiter.

This wont be a problem if I launch at Cobbs.

Am using normal car battery.

Cheers Mick.

I think Duncan / BathClaret had movers on the wheels of his trailer and it had a high battery post.

As you say the battery in / on the car is useless at Baiter.

I have an Anderson connector in the bow of my boat that I can plug my mover in to, for positioning the trailer on the drive etc. You could do similar but need cable c. Length of winch strap that you let out.

Do you guys keep your manual winch incase of failure of motor/ battery etc?

Would a 2 speed manual winch not be an alternative?

R

I normally launch at Wick, Mudeford or Portland so, no problem. I avoid Baiter like the plague. However, when I have, I push the trailer in far enough to float the boat onto it and secure it then use a long rope to tow the trailer out with the car.

Rob, its all right for young fellow me lads like you to lightly talk of hand winches, I've used mine for years but, when you get to a certain age, the easy option seems to get more attractive.

Using the car to pull the boat onto the trailer is VERY difficult as when the weight of the boat loads onto the rear of the trailer, the front end flies up in the air and you will need a very weighty crew to pull it back down.

Wick is a good spot to launch and almost fresh water which means minimal salt damage to the trailer, also the engine gets a flush. However, although the fishing is good Christchurch end, one is limited a bit by the tides.