Cherbourg wrecking trip

great white

The Feisty crew are currently in Roscoff, also weather watching. Looks like Monday might be fit for us to cross, but we need to attend a family event in Torbay. Brixham is 107 miles from here, about 16 hours in fair conditions.

I can't comment on Cherbourg, but we encountered NW and W swells to 3m at times yesterday on our trip from L'Abervrach, and have gales forecast for today on the Shipping Forecast. This end of the channel looks unfishable for a few days.

Hope something settles down soon, this unsettled weather has plagued us for the last few weeks.

Alfresco 

Plan now changed

Ian is back to earning Brownie points by attending a wedding

Dan and I are giving it a go at 0800 Sat to see if we can at least get a line wet and a bit of fishing in while the ladies are away

if plans change you will have to join me and reg at the pub instead.

Wind levels are ok for Saturday but having had a good long look at predicted wave height and periods mid channel it has become very marginal to be much fun so we have decided to postpone.

We will not be mid channel, but with a busy August almost upon us and a complete pass we wanted to try to get out, before Dan and Chrissie go overseas.

Tigerfish doing a shorter local trip now and we will be adjusting what we do based on the conditions, it may be a very short trip, but I hope it's not.

Tightlines out there folks.

Cherbourg in 2 weeks time anyone?

Bloody work ! !

What a PAIN !

We need to come up with a plan that makes the younger ones that won't work . .. . . Go out to work and pay for US older ones that HAVE worked and paid into the system ! ! ! !

There ! !

That'll stir things up a bit.  :)

Jim

Plan B

Go out today, try to get some fresh bait and work around the weather, forecasts showed dying wind but plenty of rain. [spot on for a change]

0800 just Dan and I onboard we set off to meet Dave.

he was stuggling for bait so we went West, no better so off to the spoils and anchor in

a few species landed but nothing huge, so we jumped to another spot, weather was still sloppy and the odd shower. A few more species including a Bass and nice Red gurnard.

as the tide eased so did the breeze. decided to roll the dice and head out to a wreck

That changed the day, a few more mackeral  then a busy three hour session

Plenty of tope and congers in pouring rain. Let it pour we were having fun. :D  :D 

Out of more than 2 dozen eels several congers were around the 40lb mark and one that came close to Dans PB, taking the scales to 56lb

By the time we came in the rain had eased and the sea was calm. :lol: great run home

Great trip, nice to be congering with Dan again

Great trip Charlie, well done you two.

Tigerfish - Plan B

It seemed like the fish were really having it on Saturday; with the team reduced to Alun and me we planned a shortish local session from slack water (for bait) fishing the flood till the forecast rain set in, we targeted bass. Things looked up when the initial pout bashing for livebait produced a bass of 5lb to ragworm! Armed with lures and pout live bait we fished a number of spots across the east of Poole Bay and caught bass at every one.

It started off bumpy but smoothed out as the wind dropped with the rain arriving just after midday, with the tide slackening and the bite rate dropping the rain prompted a return to base.

We weren't really counting properly but we caught more than 20 mostly in the 2lb to 5lb range, Alun caught the last one, a cracking fish of 8lb 6oz. Bass have been few and far between so far this year and then a day like this, you just never know with fishing!  :D

Well done for getting out on plan b or c. We had a fun day catching some lively conger and tope. Curtis caught a new pb after a bit of ground baiting in the swell. I lost one which was stripping line and would not get its head up before it let go but a nice one of 39lb came along soon after. Lots of fish being caught as the tide eased and a few fresh mackerel helped the fishing. It wasn't quite Cherbourg wrecking but a good day apart from the rain. Thanks to Dave for the trip a bit too wet for a doombar even, need a week to dry out all the kit now cheers

great to hear that others also made the most of alternative plans, sounds like a good session on the bass Steve.

Good to hear that Curtis recovered from his sickness to get a PB Paul

Just managed to get everything dry and in off of the washing line.

As Paul said not quite a 2 day wrecking trip but it was fun.