New boat.

Tarlach.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good, looking forward to hearing how she handles and how you fit her out. Congrtulations :) Enjoy.

Thanks Mal, there is a post on WSF titled

"How impressed am I ?" http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/threads/how-impressed-am-i-tarlachs-1st-voyage.26486961/

It describes 'Tarlach's' maiden voyage from littlehampton to southampton last Saturday,

Big winds, and tide !!

Very impressive hull !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Maverick
link added

OOOOOOhhhh Very Nice ....Who up for the regular Polishing ?????? ;)

Easy that one, my mate who shall remain nameless. He never wants in on a boat but always wants to be out on them!! He has to earn his keep somehow you know !!

I've collected my last 2 boats in adverse conditions.  The current one came from the Hamble round to Poole in a 6 Westerley straight on our nose with green water everywhere.  Previous boat was at Lymington brought home to Poole in a strong 4-5 SW.  Survived both trips and glad to have had the experience to build confidence but not sure the first foray out is the best one to get that confidence on  :rolleyes:

Anyhow go out, play and have fun, that's what boat ownership is all be about.

Our first trip on freeboys had a forecast of 2-8 and we had them all!!

I caught 2 bass in Portland race with the line out horizontal and we had massive difficulty getting on the birth in Portland marina (in a westerly chesil beach offers no shelter) they should really prescribe a pill with new boats!!

I've collected my last 2 boats in adverse conditions. The current one came from the Hamble round to Poole in a 6 Westerley straight on our nose with green water everywhere. Previous boat was at Lymington brought home to Poole in a strong 4-5 SW. Survived both trips and glad to have had the experience to build confidence but not sure the first foray out is the best one to get that confidence on :rolleyes:

Anyhow go out, play and have fun, that's what boat ownership is all be about.

At least if you experience those kind of conditions on your first voyage you are not left wondering exactly what the boat can cope with !

I would not choose to do it again, but.........

I think personal experience of handling a boat in challenging conditions is very benifical for a number of reasons.

You know the boat can handle it.

You know you can cope.

You get better at it with practice.

It gives confidence that when you set out on a less than perfect day and things turn iffy you can get her home reducing stress and increasing enjoyment of the whole boating experience overall.

Your crew have confidence you can deal with it ok so they stress less.

I've had my boat out in heavy weather often enough, personally I treat it as a challenge and derive enjoyment from handling the challenge. On arriving back at port each time for me there is a feeling of personal satisfaction but I do get back knackered if it was a long one. Making decisions for each wave whilst considering other safety aspects (baton down the hatches etc) and where conditions are likely to be even worse ahead and the best route through it and looking out for the damn pot buoys all the time is very tiring. And a plan B is needed and a plan C once you are on plan B...

There are so many things to learn to manage the conditions better. You can read about how in books but there is nothing like putting it in practice.

Having said all that being out in a totally flat sea is fantastic like we were recently on a wrecking trip.

With our weather that doesn't happen to often we just have to make the best of what nature serves up.

Better to do than view

I think personal experience of handling a boat in challenging conditions is very benifical for a number of reasons.

You know the boat can handle it.

You know you can cope.

You get better at it with practice.

It gives confidence that when you set out on a less than perfect day and things turn iffy you can get her home reducing stress and increasing enjoyment of the whole boating experience overall.

Your crew have confidence you can deal with it ok so they stress less.

I've had my boat out in heavy weather often enough, personally I treat it as a challenge and derive enjoyment from handling the challenge. On arriving back at port each time for me there is a feeling of personal satisfaction but I do get back knackered if it was a long one. Making decisions for each wave whilst considering other safety aspects (baton down the hatches etc) and where conditions are likely to be even worse ahead and the best route through it and looking out for the damn pot buoys all the time is very tiring. And a plan B is needed and a plan C once you are on plan B...

There are so many things to learn to manage the conditions better. You can read about how in books but there is nothing like putting it in practice.

Having said all that being out in a totally flat sea is fantastic like we were recently on a wrecking trip.

With our weather that doesn't happen to often we just have to make the best of what nature serves up.

Better to do than view

Well said Steve

its not what qualifications you have, its what you do with that knowledge under pressure.

Don't get me wrong , training is good

But Experience and practice is very important too