Starter rod for a 5 year old

billy2shots

I have been looking around for a rod for my lads 5th birthday. I'm not taken a back by the ones designed for kids and was thinking along the lines of a 4ft Kayak rod which I will team up with a light fixed spool real.

My thinking is this will last him well (and I can use it as a fun rod when he's not around).

Although a spinning rod would be a little lighter I think the length would be an issue.

Anyone care to share thoughts and or experiences.

I'd go for a 7-8' Ugly Stik spin lite....something he'd never grow out of, and something he'd love for decades to come.

Great for most of our small and medium stuff. I've had conger to 40lb on mine, tope to 25lb, bass to over 14lb and even turbo-charged smoothhound to 13lb.

Most versatile rod I've ever had.

Mike

i think Dom (7) has had \ Rovex Kayak rod for a couple of years and has landed rays etc, spot on for the kids:

https://www.anglingactive.co.uk/rovex-integra-gold-kayak-rod.html?sel=21364&gclid=Cj0KEQjwtu3GBRDY6ZLY1erL44EBEiQAAKIcvpmSeoMmY_YZ4THEho1Pt-oBNHHMsku8p1bTM8gHQlkaAox28P8HAQ

Cheap and short enough to not be wafted abou oo much (leave it Jim!).

R

fixed spools are a good starter reel as easy to use,

I personally like the rovex fixed spools on sale at poole sea angling centre, simple reels but with plenty of bearings and I have never had an issue with mine, used for all different sorts of fishing including bass fishing in 40ft of water. (I think I payed about 30 quid each for them)

I also like the abu ambassador 6000/5000 size reels, small but plenty of strength. 

my eldest uses all my old reels and has no problems with them so he should be fine with most reels on offer.

Yep, like Rob and Sam have said, Dom has been using a Rovex Kayak rod, with a (second hand) Abu 6000 multiplier since he was about 4 for 'heavier' boat work. He's used the same rod with a small (second hand) Shimano baitrunner for lighter species hunting on the boat and from the quayside. Plenty of bend in the rod but short enough so that he doesn't get the rod tangled up in everyone/everything else! The advantage of the baitrunner is leaving the drag off reduces the changes of the rod and reel going overboard when the junior anglers wander off and leave the rod leaning against the rail!

I like the baitcaster reel that Sam C has- easy for a junior to use without creating birds nests every 2 minutes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...