Ready to go.

plaicemat

After a hectic couple of weeks, I think I'm about ready to go fishing. First off, I've fitted a nice, shiney new electric winch to the trailer, no more hernias from hand winching Stingray back onto it. However, when I moved the boat to the other drive to do the work, the axle collapsed. Bugger!. Still, better here than halfway to Poole. New axle for a Hallmark Roller Coaster trailer is the thick end of 600 quid but, through the Warrior facebook site, I managed to get one from a very nice man in Middlesborough for £400 delivered, result! It is now all fitted and as it came with new drums and brakes, I have treated it to new stainless bowden cables and associated fittings meaning that I am starting anew from ground zero.

Now, some decent weather please so I can go fishing.

post-93-0-06296700-1490636773_thumb.jpg

Good question, Rob. I had three choices, 1) Mount a battery box on the chassis of the trailer, 2) Hard wire the car to an Anderson connector at the rear of the vehicle 3) Make up a battery box complete with the control box of the winch and accompanying leads fitted with Anderson connector. With the first, I am sure with the trailer parked in Christchurch or indeed any other car park, the battery would not be present for very long. The second option would be a good one but is fairly expensive to set up and when I change the car would have to be done again. The 3rd option, which I chose and carry in the boot of the car works well and during 'down' time, the battery is connected to a solar charger to keep it topped up. The winch is wired to an Anderson connector which is secured on the upright post that supports the hand winch so it is a simple job to just open the boot and connect. The winch has both a fixed switch and wireless hand sets for operation. I have left the hand winch in place, just in case!.

Ahead of you, I have a fairly large panel running through a 3 way regulator to keep both batteries on the boat topped up plus the new one. The only trouble is that in inclement weather, the regulator uses more power from the batteries than it is putting in. It is just starting to show a profit.