Bilge blowers hey? Mmmmmmmm

Wedger

Does anyone use bilge blowers to keep down condensation under / below decks?

Seems the recent deterioration below Otter's deck was most likely caused by an epoxy coat on the outside preventing moisture egress. I am advised this is prevented by fitting bilge blower ventilation in these cases and should  be routinely fitted, if not already in place. <_<

What do you guys know?? :huh:

Cheers

Trev

Trevor

My boat has bilge blowers that are on all the time the engine is running.  Not sure whether their needed on a diesel boat but were fitted as standard when new so guess they are.  I think they maybe needed more for getting air into the engine room rather than vacating it.  In the winter months I use a dehumidifer to keep the  mouldy growths away

I have one fitted on Feisty, and was advised to use in hotter climates to aid with cooling.

That feels like an absolute load of garbage - the liquid cooling has to be much more effective!

Seems the US Coastguard require them to disperse fumes, and reduce risk of explosions: http://www.boatus.com/boatTECH/articles/bilge-blowers.asp

Interesting what it says about 4 minutes only needed....

Tigerfish has a switch in the wheelhouse labeled engine room fan. I can honestly say I have never turned it on. Being a diesel and having a massive amount of air intakes to let the engines breath I could not think why it was needed and showing a total lack of curiosity have never tried (maybe it does nothing  :rolleyes:), suspect a regulatory requirement. 

No help to your question Trev, however, I think i will turn it on, if nothing else to find out if there is a fan, maybe it does something marvelous! I won't hold my breath.

Yes, friend of mine who had and has V8 petrol American Cobalt ski boats has blowers fitted as standard. When you turn the ignition to 1 the blowers fired up and it is recommended to run them for 4 mins before setting off, and us the manual fan at tick over and low speed.

This is the risks of vapour associated with inboard petrol tanks and engines.

For you trev, I guess what you do will need solar power to run. Look at the Ctek solar range, you put it between the panel and you battery to ensure you don't over charge them.

Rob

The purpose of one for 'Otter' is to keep the voids under the deck free from condensation - not for removing fumes from the engine bay as is most common for inboard petrol engines.

Thank you all.

:)

Not sure that would work very well Trevor as bilge blowers are normally connected to the ignition system and therefore would only come on when you use the boat.  If left on permanent they would drain the battery and even if on a timer would need to be on every day so would still drain the battery.

Of course if you plan to use Otter everyday then problem solved  ;)  B)

• 1 month later...

Not sure that would work very well Trevor as bilge blowers are normally connected to the ignition system and therefore would only come on when you use the boat.  If left on permanent they would drain the battery and even if on a timer would need to be on every day so would still drain the battery.

Of course if you plan to use Otter everyday then problem solved  ;)  B)

If I could find the time to use her once a month it would be a bonus!!  Think I need to go dry stack. Any ideas for a poor bloke chaps??

Boats sat for a long time in the water isn't a good combination for long life... as you've found.

A dry stack is probably the most expensive way to moor a boat, so worse if you're not using it much... but the upside is minimal maintenance. Either that or trail it....

Bilge blowers won't help. A dehumidifier would but then you need shore power to run it 24/7?

Trevor a couple of thoughts.

If the water egress is through the hull in contact with the water (put simply the small water molecules can easily pass through gell coat and fiberglass which is made of large complex chains of molecules ) then there won't be a lot of water getting in so not a lot of water to remove.

If the bilge is totally sealed in then try some of those water absorbing boxes to bring the humidity level down. They need swap outs when they fill up.

If not totally sealed then 2 air vents ideally at opposite ends will get some air through, just like a house boats need ventilation.