What antifoul to use

sparky

Hi fella's,  just a quick question on what antifoul you use on your boats?

I have been using International Micron extra  for years now on Marichelle, but it now £100.00 for 

2.5 litres !  I have been told that Hempel Tiger extra is just as good.........but half the price !

Be grateful on any comments as hoping to do the work soon.....

Thanks,   Mick

Last year was my first full year on the water and was dreading what I would find when Madness came out.  Needn't of worried as all I had was slime with no long growth or barnacles.  I used Seajet Shogun in black, seems to be a black theme going here  :P  anyhow as it performed last year I have used it again this time.  Shogun also got a good right up in the PBO magazine

Coppercoat can be applied by Poole Marine Options, at Cobb's,

I had a quote last year, and winced, but it should last 20 years. When the current antifoul needs full removal, I'll be back to bare hull, and that's the time to consider it for me.

You might still need to come ashore fleetingly for anodes etc.

I had my last boat copper coated.

I agree with Mike the time to do it is when the boat is new (like Dave Evans did on Reel Magic) or when old antifoul has to be cleaned off (as I did on Arwen)

It is expensive to get done. All the coats have to be done as one long process, can be done in one very long day, totally knackering, needs more than one person on the job unless the boat is something like 20ft. Also the stays have to be moved and then done underneath, that could be done next day. If it rains or even a heavy dew it's a disaster as it's water soluble and the damn stuff runs so if done outside needs to be no risk of rain (mine was done outside in June). Best to be done undercover with a team of people, there is some skill in applying it. Sad to say some yards have been known to charge for say 7 pots of the expensive stuff and use less saving them a lot of labour and pots, the result sort of looks ok but won't last as long so watch out for that.

Each season the coat should be lightly rubbed with scotch bright to expose new copper, bit of pain but not on the level of antifouling.

It is a medium strength antifoul, if you need high strength then it may not be good enough. If your boat sits in one place for weeks on end I would say don't use it, if used regularly then the slime will wash off.

I'm stripping my antifoul off next year, 10 years worth is on the hull and it's looks like it, I'll be getting quotes for copper coating.

I have seen a few nasty copper coat issues at the Club over the years, mainly from poor application and adhesion to the hull caused by incorrect conditions during application.

In the right conditions as described by Steve you get a good final job, IE done from new in a totally dry and warm shed. [As per Reel Magic]

But I think the life is 10 years not 20.

We used to put it on the  Clubs RIB's from new but have stopped after two reacted badly to it, this may have been caused because making Ribs is a quick process and styrene may have been leeching from the hulls.

A lot of boat owners do not scrub the hulls hard enough when they come out and therefore the boats start to foul up, also the dirt takes a lot of effort to clean off so after a while there is no chance of it being cleaned by just using the boat a lot.

Lets just say that after managing a boatyard for 10 years , I decided not to use it on Alfresco when she was new, instead Sam and I applied 5 coats of Gellshield 2000 and 2 of antifouling one weekend in the big shed at work [boy was that a bad weekend]

Charlie