Garmin Auto Pilot

great white

Just sea trialed my new Garmin GHC20 auto pilot with Platinum Marine

Very pleased with it today, we are going fishing sunday to give it a proper test.

Fitted by myself was not too hard, even if access was a bit tight and matching hydraulics between garmin and volvo was a bit of a pain.

Plenty of advice and a good price from Platinum at the London boat show. Together with a good sea trial this afternoon. Ryan just took over driving the boat and did it all.

Very pleased

Cannot wait for Sunday

Graham just a note, I was doing the same, looking for an autopilot to match my Lowrance kit, till I noticed they all use nmea communications, so they are all compatible.

The lowrance auto pilot without an expensive extra only works through the screen which is not ideal in an emergency. The other kits have a control on the dash. I would make in depth investigations before you by.

hi Mal

i quite agree my last one was on it's own but with this one you can set up the screen so you have it up the time you are using it so you can have plotter , autopilot , fish finder all on the one screen then change back to what ever you what when you have done with it

graham

Thanks guys

Looking forward to more relaxing cruising to and from marks or destinations

This Garmin one is very smart, simple to use and came with the compass unit that was simple to set up yesterday

All linked by plugs and nmea2000.

Only wiring I had to conect was the positive and negative to the circuit breaker and busbar. Plus two wires for the shadow drive and two for the audible buzzer.

4 inch screen doesnt take up much room either.

simple to set up yesterday

All linked by plugs and nmea2000.

Only wiring I had to conect was the positive and negative to the circuit breaker and busbar. Plus two wires for the shadow drive and two for the audible buzzer.

4 inch screen doesnt take up much room either.

You lost me Charlie......

Terrific sea trial today

We set off early to head 15 miles offshore

As soon as I set the way point into my garmin plotter and pushed engage for the pilot off we went.

The unit has a shadowdrive which means all that is neaded to take control is to move the wheel. The hydraulic flow in the system overides the pilot untill movements stops. Made it easy to avoid the pot buoys at Old Harry. Re engage saw us take a direct line to the mark.

These units learn as they go so in fairly calm conditions it learned quickly and the track was good. 7nhours later when we set back the sea state had picked up. Initialy the track weaved, but within a couple of miles it was straighter than any of manage to keep the boat in such weather.

Think that I am going to enjoy the benifits of fitting this new toy. Although it did seem strange to be sat in the helm seat just keepin a good lookout ahead and chatting to the crew.