Vacuum Packer.

Leicester Fisheagle

Been thinking about one of these for a while. Prices seem to range from £60 or so up to thousands for professional ones.

I am looking fot something to vacuum pack and then freeze a pound or so of Cuttle/Squid or perhaps a couple of Mackeral.

Has anyone out there got one or used one that they can recommend?

Allan.

I use a £20 lidl one I bought years ago. Then buy large bags off eBay that I can cut small if needed. Using the rolls of plastic I found a pain.

I would not.want to mess with cuttle at home, good luck.eith that!!!!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The water issue is more about getting the inside of the bag moist before sealing (don't go there!).

I buy long bags that have the rough texture that allows it to draw the air out (as shown in your link Steve) - the longer bag allows the neck to be folded back, thus allowing the inside edge of the bag to remain clean and dry when place the contents in.

R

• 5 months later...

Freshpack Eiffel Pro Usage report

I been using the Freshpack Eiffel Pro since February for filleted fish and mackerel for bait.

It works really well, I find I can fillet fish, wash them, remove most of the water off the fillets with my hand, put them in the bag with say 6" of bag above the fillets and let the vacuum packet do it's stuff. If a little water/blood gets sucked into the packer it gets caught in a small drip tray and the bag still gets sealed ok. The tray is easy to clean afterwards.

​It will work continuously, so on the few occasions there have been a lot of fillets to process I've not had to wait for the vacuum packer to 'rest'.

I've been using rolls supplied by Freshpack rather than bags (except the ones they provided with the packer) as I think it is more economical as they can be cut to size.

Fish sealed in vacuum bags comes out noticeably fresher than just bagged and frozen sufficiently so for me to vacuum pack all the fish, even if I think will be eating it in a few weeks.

I'm on my third vacuum packer having gone through a couple of home ones. Now I have an Andrew James professional which has normal, moist and gentle setting for the vacuuming and sealing. Does all my fish, meat and game,with no probs about moisture.