Quicksilver 580 Steering

HAYLEY

Have to turn the steering wheel many times (15 to 20) at least before any real response from engine, then it seems to turn suddenly and you need to compensate in the opposite direction 15 to 20 times. 

I believe it is hydraulic and cable steering mechanism.

Can any one help? 

Used to have a 580, there is a hydraulic pump behind the steering wheel ( behind the panel I think ) and there are cables to the outboard, sounds to me as if a cable has slipped / stretched and needs replacing, also make sure there is fluid in the steering control unit behind steering wheel which also needs to be bled.

Hope this helps.

Mick

That problem is normally due to air in the hydraulic system. Suggest you first bleed the system. If the oil level is low and you haven't been doing any work on it then you may have a leak as once installed the oil level should not really go down.

THANKS                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          IT was low on oil and needed bleeding. THANKS Hayley