Plaice Chase 2017

lofty

A few bits of information for you

Accommodation

If you are coming to the PBPC from afar, and want to stay in Poole, there are plenty of hotels, but we do have the budget range locally, including the premier inn at Holes Bay( pub restaurant attached) and a holiday inn

IMO the holes bay would be more than adequate

If camping there is Beacon Hill touring park.

Please be in mind that if the weather is too bad for a launch then the comp will be cancelled, so it may pay to get the cancellation clause in your booking.

The Weather

Saturday is comp day but completely down to the weather

If the weather is just about doable but not safe at sea then we will still pull the comp but could look at an alternative for a session maybe in the harbour .If the forecast shows the Sunday as the better day we will postpone and go for a Sunday launch. Safety is paramount

The venue

Sandbanks beach

Sandbanks car park (off-road), BH13 7QJ.

Please note this is an expensive car park (£14)but there's nothing I can do about this

There is limited free parking about 200 metres away on the road.

Kayak fishing is not a cheap hobby.

The Area

The fishing area will be down to your competency really

There will be a support boat on hand but let me just explain the area a bit

In general plaice should be showing around the bay by end of March. From the launch if you go straight out and to the left( east) you will generally be in safe waters.

There is an area of shallow water about 500 yards out, to 1000 yards out, and this can be very very choppy. This area is hook sands, and best avoided, along with the harbour entrance

Fishing is not permitted in the shipping channels

The swash channel runs to the west of the launch, in a line from the harbour entrance to Old Harry rocks

Although fishing is not permitted in the channel, outside should produce. This area is for the experienced and competent as there is a lot of marine traffic and tides to be aware of.

The Rules

Sign in and off will be in the carpark and on the beach

Sign in is from 7 am and you can launch as soon as you've signed in. There is a "voluntary" £5 donation to HOW that enters you into the raffle. Extra tickets can be bought as it's for a great cause and Bournemouth Canoes are sponsoring the raffle prize.

Everyone that takes part will need to see me to sign in and off, leaving a mobile number.

PFDs are mandatory.

Drysuits are recommended

VHF is optional but recommended. Working channel 6.

No hooks on the beach at launch or landing as it's a popular dog walk venue and our furry chums love the smell of bait. Please don't ignore this important rule.

No limit to rods or hooks.

Sign off the water by 2pm sharp. You must sign off to be entered into the raffle. It helps me to know that everyone is accounted for and I can then stand the support boat down.

The trophy is rewarded for the longest Plaice, therefore only bring your best one to the station.

Any questions please ask on here or contact me personally

Lofty

2a8953e148f95f11e5ea6bd22057ffee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

We are a go for this Saturday

Anyone on the water keep a watchful eye leaving the entrance.

Anyone at a loose end, come and say hello on the beach at sandbanks. Weigh in latest at 2 so should be lots of activity from midday

Lofty I have noticed a slight discrepency in your start and safety briefing times, the poster and your report are different, could you have a look please and clarify. I will be on the safety boat with Chris and the boat name is Kingfisher on channel 6 as you have mentioned in your report.

Good luck to all entering and the projected weather looks to be 6-10mph sw, we will keep an eye on that up until friday night and keep you informed.

Looking forward to seeing you all out fishing.

I brief everyone individually when they sign in with me. There isn't one big meeting as I want to get them out staggered and not in one go. Also doesn't impact the local dog walkers too much.

Kingfisher is "support" and not "safety". There was an issue a few years ago about what to call the boats. Thanks for being my eyes out there