Bow Thruster

Mike Fox

Might be a long shot...

but does anyone in the club have a bow thruster, and do they have any tips about models, fitting (cables/extra batteries), usage etc?

Feisty has a lot of windage and zero grip forward, and is a bit of a nightmare berthing in cross-winds...much like many larger motor boats in the club.

As a winter project, I'm bracing myself for the cost of a bow thruster, and am keen to avoid mistakes!

Thanks,

Mike

Tigerfish has one, a Max Power 2hp, it has it's own battery shared with the windlass and I would recommend that, works fine in both directions, seems to be unchanged from new in 2006, I have had no trouble from it at all, has a single propeller.

As yours is 40ft with a big keel and the concern is overcoming windage you may need to go for 4hp.

Fitted one to mine last year I bought a twin bladed kit with tube because only place to fit one is high in the water on my bow.

I used Bob 07747026499 who done all the Fibreglass work and mounted the motor,I don't know if he is still around as I haven't seen him for a while but try a call,he done a great job.

Then a very nice man from the club and I wired it up,as I have a twin battery set up we just run it off those.

• 6 months later...

Thanks folks, I went Max Power in the end, with a 80kg thruster, around 7HP, which is needed to bulldoze over 10 tons sideways against any stiff breeze.

It needed a 185mm tube glassing in, cutting to length, then fairing in.

The motor fitted under the double berth forward, and was heavily braced (having experienced the Alderney Race in a F6 last year).

A separate battery forward has an isolator switch, and charging from both shore power and the alternator.

Heavy cables take a massive load from the battery. The initial 250 amp maxifuse melted, and manufacturers now recommend 400 Amps, which is fitted. Some installations take more, and I have a 500 Amp fuse as a spare.

I have a little joystick next to the wheel to activate the unit. Apparently commercial vessels are used to moving the joystick to the side they want the thrust to appear. Leisure users (the gameboy generation) prefer to move the joystick the way they expect the boat to turn.... I ended up with the latter, as I'm keen to avoid mistakes in crowded places!

Extensive sea-trials have now proven its value, and confined spaces and berthing are no longer quite as terrifying.

I've used the wait for bridge lifts to tie up, and practice leaving sideways :D

- turn the rudder as if to motor into the pontoon

- move ahead gently bringing the stern out

- use the bow thruster to keep the boat parallel to the pontoon

- and keep going,

No-one told me you could do that!!!

If you've not tried it, have fun :D

post-205-0-66100900-1495516790_thumb.jpg

post-205-0-47529200-1495516817_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike

I have heard woman say they like a man with a big pipe :lol:  :D

but I am glad you are getting the most from it I no my boat is not big but when the wind hit's it ,it is a god send to have it

good luck and with your fuel

graham

"Thanks folks, I went Max Power in the end, with a 80kg thruster, around 7HP, which is needed to bulldoze over 10 tons sideways against any stiff breeze."

I thought you were only moving the water around the craft as the "weight" is held by the water. So you are just pushing the water so it is more about surface area under the surface.

No doubt a wise investment Mike and it only takes avaoidance of a little bump to pay for itself.

Can you use it to slow the turbot drifts on the banks?

Rob

Rob, technically, it pushes a column of water of water out one side of the tube, action/reaction pushes the bow of the boat the opposite way. Having a central keel, the boat actually pivots round the keel. Sustained use will turn the boat 180 degrees in its own length.

So, no benefits when turbot huting.