New and eager to learn

billy2shots

Hi, I'm Matt and I live in Bournemoth.

Just recently bought my first boat (Merry Fisher 805) which I have in the water at Parkstone Bay Marina. I was originally looking at Tuckton, Christchurch, but after a bit of research Poole seemed the best bet. This was a joint purchase with my Dad which makes the financial outlay slightly less eye watering....

I'm 34 and have been a mad fisherman since the age of 12 although 99.9% of that has been fresh water fishing. From the age of 16 -32 I was a Carp-oholic and have had several 40lb fish to 49lb.

The last couple of years has seen my fishing time grind to a halt. A young family keeps me busy and I became disillusioned with the crowded rivers and Lakes.

The boat itself will be used for everything which is why we opted for that particular model. My 2 kids and nieces and nephews will enjoy trips out when I'm not covering the deck with rag and squid.

I know the square route of FA about sea fishing and I must admit I'm already loving the feeling of starting over again in regards to fishing education. The master plan will be to get used to the boat fishing in the Harbour and just oustide in Poole Bay before going a little further out. Poole Patch, Christchurch Ledge, Dolphin Bank and Old Harry are the first places I can see myself fishing.

I have just paid the membership fee so I'm hoping that will unlock some secrets that you knowledgeable guys and girls have shared over the years, however I'm sure I will drive you all mad with plenty of questions in the coming months and years.

Anyway, enough waffle. Time to start learning!

Hi Matt/Billy

You have just made the best decision you could possibly make in shortening the learning curve and that was joining the club.

Your second decision should be to pester us with questions and requests to crew on some of our members boats

As soon as Brian (our membership sec) confirms your membership to me I will upgrade your forum status to that of club member which will open up a whole new section for you to browse  :)

Welcome to THE club and tight lines

Hi Matthew

Thanks for your payment and welcome to the club, I've emailed you a New Members Welcome Pack and Membership Form and copied it to Martin to arrange upgrading you to Club Member, you'll then have access to the Members Area of the club site.

We meet first Thursday of every month, next meeting Thursday 3rd November, the details are in the Welcome Pack. At the Nov meeting we're having a "Table Top Sale", where there should be a few bargains to be had.

Hi Matt

This will be our 4th season with our 805. It's a great all year round boat and great for the kids. I do a lot of winter fishing in mine and she is fine for going out 5 to 10 miles off shore.

I would advise you to speak with Mal our safety officer who attends the monthly meetings who could recommend boat handling courses and sea safety etc.

This really is a must before you look to plan trips.

Look forward to seeing you at the monthly meeting.

Greg

Hi Matt

Welcome to the club

You have a nice safe boat for family trips and angling

There are many years of angling experience in the club although people will always deny this

Come to a meeting and get to know some guys, talk boats and angling and you will seem like an established member

And come as crew on other people's boats to learn tackle,tactics and fishing marks as well as anchoring techniques.

See first a Thursday of the month a the meeting

Tony

Welcome Matt to one of the best boat angling club on the South Coast

As been said we all have had to start somewhere and best advise is to get some training in so you will know what to do and when should the need arise.

The ethos of the club is boat and personal safety so please ensure that you and all you crew have proper life jackets and know how to wear them at least.

Having been the club's Safety Officer and now a volunteer with the RNLI on the angling safety side it is better to be prepared for the worse. Please don't go out and buy the cheapest life jackets as they might not be suitable for the person or angling, I would be happy to chat to you at a club night or any other time.

Regards

Dave

Thanks for the warm welcome :-).

Already learning so much looking back through old posts.

Will be taking her out the harbour today as conditions look pretty good. Ideal time of year with minimal traffic around. Probably only venture to Poole Patch or studland bay.

Family trip so no fishing. Just picked up an Ugly stik 12-20 and Shimano Charter Special reel (you guys do realise you have your reels on upside down don't you?). Will be popping into Bournemouth Fishing Lodge and Christchurch Angling to get a few essentials before planning my first fishing trip.