How do from not so sunny Wilts

Astevens4

Howdy from slightly further afield. I've decided that as nice as charters are i needed a wee bit more freedom, so bought myself a wee 16ft cuddy fast fisher, which i'm hoping to moor down in poole. Dont fancy trailering it back and forth from north wilts whenever i fancy a quick fishing trip!

I have to say i'm impressed because theres nothing of this ilk available at the other south coast ports like weymouthor southampton - the clubs there tend to tend towards the "genteel" yachting set, rather than the normal joe who likes his fishing!

If i can get me a berth i'll DEFINATELY be becoming a member!

Tony

Welcome Tony

Jump right in and ask as many questions as you like as there is a wealth of knowledge within the club. We all started boat owning with whatever knowledge we had, by attending training courses you will come not only proficient but safe as well which is the ethos of the club.

We have a number of members who travel a distance to fish and some, like your proposing, keep their boats down in the Poole area.

We have monthly meetings on the first Thursday in the month, these tend to be a friendly chat and demos or talks by interesting people or groups.

As Adam suggests join the club as there are many benefits in being a member and you get to see far more of the club's forum.

Dave

Hi Tony,

It is indeed a great club and a lovely part of the world.

Mooring around here is not cheap though.

The swinging moorings in the harbour are probably cheapest but not as convenient as a pontoon.

I think Christchurch is much cheaper but you need to learn the waters and tides.

Someone will be along with more advice soon I expect.

Jim

For a small boat you may be better off using a boat racking either at Cobbs Quay or Rockley boat park.

To use all you have to do is tell them 1/2 hour or more before you arrive and they launch the boat ready for you.  This has many benefits including not needing to anti foul or renew anodes every year which in themselves save a fair sum of money as well as time and muscle power required preparing and applying.

Hi Tony

Definitely worth joining the club, let me have your email address and I'll send you some info.

I keep my Warrior 165 dry berthed at Rockley, cost is £2043 for the year. unlimited lifts in and out, boat pressure washed after each trip. Nice friendly staff, I recommend it.

Regards

Brian

brunyard@hotmail.com

Hi Tony,

I travel down from Marlborough to my boat at Cobbs. I started on the dry stack then ended up on the water with a new boat!!! Look out its infectious. Cobbs great, expensive , but ticks all the boxes, if you can go under the bridges I don't have a bad word to say about Cobbs except I should of kept a smaller boat!!

Keep asking questions the club is enormously helpful when your new to the area.

Jerry

If you find the berthing option more expensive than you thought, I travel down regularly from Oxfordshire with my Warrior, takes me about 2 hours. I usually launch from Christchurch or Mudeford but Poole is an option although the launching is not as user friendly from the public slip, Baiter.

WOW! now very impressed indeed - i'm on a few forums, and the welcome here just blows me away! Lots and lots of good advice here - i hadn't considered dry stack up until now. I've just spoken to Rockley Park and Cobbs Quay - Rockley are cheaper than Cobbs Quay for Dry Stack, and main marina, but Cobbs have a very long pontoon, where the far end don't have electrical hookups ( F Pontoon) which is only about £500 dearer than dry stack at Rockley, plus being an MDL site, means that i can do easy visitors berthing if i want to dot up for a couple of days towards Dungeness for Cod, or down towards Teinmouth for flatties.

I'm going to see Cobbs this afternoon, so fingers crossed!

P.S. Membership joined via the paypal link. Do you need the membership form as well, or do you take the details from Paypal? My paypal e-mail is different to my normal one, so i rarely check it is all!

Thanks again for the warm welcome, and great advice.

Tony

Tony there are a few of our members up at Rockley and a load of us at Cobbs so wherever you choose to berth you will be in good company.

Even though you have joined via paypal you do need to fill in an application form.  Send an email to brunyard@hotmail.com who will send you the forms.  As soon as we have received your form your forum status will be updated so you can then view the members only section 

Hi Tony

I've received your PayPal payment, welcome to the club.

I've  emailed you a New Member Welcome Pack and a Membership Form.

Regards

Brian

PS, Rockley also run a Recommend a Friend Scheme, If you decide on Rockley, tell them I recommended you.

Thanks for that Brian, will check that e-mail and get the form back to you ASAP.

I've decided on Cobbs - lovely Marina, pretty secure, and 24hr on site, so ticks the boxes on safety. Good facilities, and really nice clubhouse. Plus decent sized Bass jumping in the Marina itself!

For Refer a friend, first come first served, so whoever gets their details to me first will get it - i'll hold off on confirming the berth until one of you messages me!

Really looking forward to seeing some of the members over the next few months.

Tony

Lol well Martin has it! I'm speaking to them tommorow to book it all in (and weep into my wallet!) - boat (Svensoni) should move in next week! Got a few bits to do on her before we go a sailing!

Can anyone recommend a good outboard mechanic? In addition to the 18hp on the boat at the mo i have an old 25 pre-volvo penta thats not been started in about 10 years that i want resurrected and my backup 6hp johnson seahorse that will need a good service.

Thanks

Tony

Sorry Martin, Chris did pip you to the post on the private message thingy that i only just discovered, so i'll have to give him the referral thingummy. In consolation, i'll buy you a pint in the clubhouse!

As soon as i get his details i'll be booking it so i should be moving my little boat in next week!

Thanks

Tony