Transferring Waypoints

Mike Fox

Having changed boats, but still having access to the old one, I wanted to transfer my old waypoints to the new plotter. Both Garmins. Simple you might think?

I had a number of issues:

1. I put an old format full-sized SD card into the old plotter to move the old waypoints onto. It failed to recognise the card.

2. I deleted all old files from the card and tried again. This time it formatted the card into some specific Garmin format, and transferred across USERDATA.AMD. Great, but when I tried transferring it to the PC, I couldn't open it, and Google didn't help. Never mind, I had a copy.

3. Tried to install the SD card into my new Garmin. Wrong size. It needed a micro-SD card.

4. I had a micro-SD card in my mobile phone, so emailed the file to myself, and installed it in the new Garmin. Wrong formatting again, and it could not be read.

5. Bought a new 8GB micro-SD with full-sized SD adaptor. Inserted the full adaptor into my old card reader to transfer the file from the PC. It refused to even recognise it. I guess 8GB was too big for the card reader.

6. Inserted the micro-SD card into the new Garmin, copying across half a dozen new waypoints, but crucially formatting the card.

7. Tried to copy the new waypoints to the PC - card reader refused to co-operate again.

8. Found an SD card slot on the PC itself (never knew that was there!) and was able to "see" the micro-SD card in the adaptor. Copied old waypoints across.

Finally, I installed the micro-SD card into the new Garmin last night, and finally, the plotter came alive with waypoints.

If anyone ever needs to do this, remember to format the card to match the technology!

Mike

Sweet pea has a 4008 garmin plotter with 1 sd card slot, the charts are on a micro card with an adapter, I would like to transfer my marks to my new plotter or pc to save the marks. I have hopefully saved my waypoints on that card but not yet tried to download them. I have also purchased another card to also try and save my waypoints on that card just in case, but what is formatting the card? and what software do I need on my laptop if any?

If I put the saved info into a lowrance will it recognise them.

Chris - I think most Garmin to Garmin should work with a blank SD card (or blank micro-SD card with SD adaptor). I had to use a PC as an intermediary. Could help if you need a hand :) My older Garmin GPS128 has hundreds of waypoints, but no card transfer option. Had to give up on that!

Mal - it sounds like you're well on the way. Inserting a blank SD card into either of my plotters did the formatting (made it Garmin-readable). Installing your waypoints card should allow transfer/merger - they're saved in memory I suspect, not on the chart itself. Your laptop just needs a physical method of reading the card (slot, or compatible card-reader). The chances of a Lowrance reading them is close to zero, but you might be able to buy PC software to convert one format to another. You should have a chance!

Feels worse than Betamax and VHS!

Mike

Sweet pea has a 4008 garmin plotter with 1 sd card slot, the charts are on a micro card with an adapter, I would like to transfer my marks to my new plotter or pc to save the marks. I have hopefully saved my waypoints on that card but not yet tried to download them. I have also purchased another card to also try and save my waypoints on that card just in case, but what is formatting the card? and what software do I need on my laptop if any?

If I put the saved info into a lowrance will it recognise them.

You only have one way point Mal and that's your Ray mark

Put a sd card in the garmin and followed instructions to download waypoints, 30 seconds later all done, back home to down load garmin homeport.

put the sd card in the laptop and bingo all my marks saved for transfer.

Only thing is the new boat has lowrance, still I can input them on a wet and windy day.

Sorry for nicking post but a while ago i got a navionics beta card to test , tried to put in garmin gpsmap 551s but plotter gave me lots of choices,so i took it out. does anyone know the right way to load card onto plotter. thanks in advance, Mick.

Think ive worked it out going to try it today.