Hello all I am new and have a question about a boat a just purchased. Merry fisher 530

Edpic

Hello all,

I have been trying to find out if the boat I just bought has a double skin hull. I have been looking for information and have found very little. The boat is a jeanneau merry fisher (2001) 530T. I'm keen to know about the hull design as I have found (a week later of course) small gelcoat blisters in the bilge fuel area. I'm hoping the bilge has a separate skin. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Ed.

Welcome to the club.

Sorry to hear that you have blister trouble.

Most if not all the Merry Fisher range are double skinned, I don't know that particular model. A good way to tell is look in the area where the sonar, hull speed sensor is fitted and often other skin fittings. That part won't be double skinned, if it looks different (lower, ie thinner) to the rest of the hull then the rest of the hull is double skinned.

Thank you gents.

My instinct is telling me it double skinned but I can't tell. Not sure if mine has this through the hull sensor from what I can see. The bilge consists of manual and electric pumps, fuel tank and a few old screws from the old battery housing. When depressed with the thumb the glass does not seem as 'structural' as the underside.

I have read a few forum and articles regarding blisters and the dreaded 'O' word some worse than others much depending on where it is. I'm hoping the upper skin is a different resin gelcoat to the main hull. The hull has been anti fowled for some years making inspection difficult. I can't see anything protruding through the anti fowl but I hear the blisters can retract in 1hr!! From being removed from the water...

Thanks,

Ed

Tom just got back to me with this.

"Drop in tray lining which is cosmetic but adds some rigidity to the structure too. I honestly can't remember the exact details on the 530 but he should only be concerned if he leaves the boat in the water and even then if it just a small area it will be easy to fix. No boat ever sank from osmosis".

Thanks Brian,

Much appreciated

The boat will be out October-may with occasional brief weekends in . I would like to keep her in the water from May-October on a mooring.

I'm in the process of drying the bilge and I suppose I'll see if the blisters retract. I suppose next winter I can strip the compartment, sanding it down, wash it clean, dry it and apply epoxy resin to the entire bilge for comfort. Should be interesting as it's rather an awkward void to get to as it only 300mm deep in the middle and partially covered by deck. Still glad it's treatable.

Regards,

Ed.