New Avet's - which ones?

Adam F

My new 30lb Saltists arrived from over the Channel at Xmas - pressie to myself!

I now need a matching pair of Avets to match... but which size? MX or JX? I know the narrow spool option is preferred, just which model?

Any thoughts?

https://www.rokmax.com/shop/avet-mxj-5-8-reel.aspx

or

https://www.rokmax.com/shop/avet-jx-4-6-6-0-reels.aspx

blue i assume you tart!

Line capacity in no problem with either so it is down to drag: 1\3 of breaking strain of line so at 9lb strike that matches 30lb braid nicely, 14lb drag full on the little one is quite a bit. 

9lb drag is a shed load, doubt you often need that much!

try it for balance with one of your existing - even though they wont be the correct colour it won't matter for this trial!

R

I have got an MXL5.8 and a slightly smaller SX5.3 -  both lever drag - which I was fortunate enough to get direct from the States

Both of these will land pretty much anything we are likely to catch

If you want to check them for balance on a particular rod or rods - let me know and I will arrange to meet sometime

Both are great reels - I very highly recommend them.

I was fishing with Neal a couple of years ago, and something took a cod bait that proved to be unstoppable even with the Avet SX lever drag ALL the way up, and using 30lb braid. Dogfish Dave did an excellent job of taking the mick, till he hooked said beastie as well, and even with 50lb gear, he was spooled rather quickly.

The Beast of the Bay needs something a little chunkier methinks, but generally I'd agree, they're cracking reels.

Mike