New bass limits 2016

lady jane

Thanks Nigel, look forward to seeing that.

In a nutshell what are the current rules regarding Bass landings?

Charlie

I was wondering the same.

Someone I was talking to said they were going Bass fishing, I told them you can't and their reply was, "it hasn't been ratified yet, so has no legal standing".

I've looked at the SIFCA site and can't find anything and there doesn't appear to be a search facility.

So what is the situation?

There is no restriction in Bass fishing but once the marine bill has been published by the MMO, you can not retain/land any Bass for six months.

Bass fishing in itself there is no restriction, as long as it is catch and release.

If you want to read more see here http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN00745/SN00745.pdf

Below is taken from the above briefing paper as published by House of Commons Library January 2016

For recreational fisheries:

In ICES Areas IVb, IVc, VIIa, VIId, VIIe, VIIf, VIIg, VIIh

• from 1st January to 30th June 2016 catch and release only permitted

• from 1st July to 31st December 2016 one bass per fisherman per day

In ICES areas VIIj and VIIk

• from 1st January to 31st December 2016 one bass per fisherman per day

As the MMO have not signed off the agreement yet it is not enforceable.

As Charlie said at the meeting, should anglers follow the spirit of the new regulations before it is signed off?

First get out to sea, second find a sizeable Bass

If you can get both to coincide at the same time then it's down to your decision to keep or return the fish.

How the new regulations are going to be published and passed onto to the angling fraternity will be a major exercise in itself, how are you going to advise nearly 1 million RSA's in the UK?

Not everyone belongs to a club, follows forums or even has internet access, reads fishing related magazines or let alone buys a paper.

I don't intend fishing for or keeping a bass.

My question was prompted by someone (not a member) saying he was going bass fishing, I said he couldn't keep any, he said he could keep a couple and there was nothing to stop him.

At the moment it appears he was correct and I was wrong.

The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “The decision to water down the recent European decision on the bass stocks”.

Government responded:

The petition title misrepresents the EU process. UK Government successfully ensured anglers could fish for sport and the derogation for gillnets excluded driftnets that take most UK netting catches.

The UK Government has not sought to water down the EU decision to protect bass stocks agreed in the EU fisheries Council on 15 December 2015, as suggested in the petition title. The terms of the petition are either a misrepresentation or misunderstanding of the EU process and the UK Government’s approach.

It is actually the UK Government that has consistently pressed for EU action to address the decline of the stock, and we secured emergency action in 2015. We were not the authors of the recent proposal for 2016, however – this was a Commission proposal – nor indeed of the derogations offered in the compromise deal tabled at Council. However the agreement for 2016 is tougher on most sectors than that for 2015.

The UK Government did manage to achieve some key outcomes to adjust both the proposal and the related compromise deal. These help to protect the EU bass stock’s progress to sustainable fishing and the interests of both recreational and small scale commercial fishermen as EU bass fisheries move towards that goal, as follows.

We fought for and secured continuation of a recreational catch and release fishery for recreational sea anglers during the 6 month moratorium on bass catches, which was under threat in the Commission proposal wording. This means that anglers and charter vessels can continue sport-fishing activity throughout the year, subject to the ban proposed by the Commission on keeping bass during the first six months, coupled with a single fish daily bag limit per person in the second half of the year.

While accepting the principle of the proposed 6 month moratorium and a subsequent catch limit of 1 tonne per vessel per month for most commercial fisheries, we aimed to avoid disproportionate impacts on the lower impact, small-scale inshore hook and line and inshore fixed gillnet fisheries during the first 6 months. But as the UK Government position was for a more modest derogation than that offered on the day, we sought to reduce the impact of this on bass stocks.

Our negotiating position was based on different fisheries’ relative impacts and reflected several factors. Hook and line has the highest degree of selectivity for the right size of bass taken – though gillnets also perform well compared with other fishing methods. We also needed to consider the proportion of the bass catch taken by UK vessels using these methods: although the nets gear group has previously accounted for half of the annual UK bass total landings (46% average from 2011-2013), drift-netting is estimated to account for up to 90% of this, as the Commission are aware, and drift-netting was not agreed for inclusion in the derogation.

In the final compromise these two commercial fisheries (hook and line and fixed gillnets) were given identical derogations for all Member States fishing for bass (February-March moratorium and 1.3 tonne catch limit all year). The UK Government negotiating position in advance of the Council decision had been to press for lower – and differentiated – catch limits for derogations to apply for these two EU fisheries (excluding drift-netting) during the moratorium. But while the compromise offered higher monthly catch limits for netting, matching the limits for hook and line, these are not applicable to the majority of UK netting activity and are combined with the complete closure for two months.

It was necessary to agree EU-level measures for bass in this way because we share the fishery with other Member States who need to be fully signed up if we are to achieve stock recovery. We now at least have a firm timetable with Member States’ and Commission agreement, to achieve sustainable fishing of bass by 2018, and the EU’s interim management package will increasingly be complemented by regional measures, including in the context of multi-annual management plans driven by the Member States concerned, as well as national ones.

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

Click this link to view the response online:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/116747?reveal_response=yes

The Petitions Committee will take a look at this petition and its response. They can press the government for action and gather evidence. If this petition reaches 100,000 signatures, the Committee will consider it for a debate.

The Committee is made up of 11 MPs, from political parties in government and in opposition. It is entirely independent of the Government. Find out more about the Committee: https://petition.parliament.uk/help#petitions-committee

Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament

Political Mumbo Jumbo as usual then. Nobody has the balls to stand up to those that are wiping out a great sport fish.

Nobody in power [uK or Brussels] can see the value of income from Sport fishing in the RSA sector

A ban that turns out not to be a ban at all

Utter waste of time

a bit like all of the restricted areas, discussed for years, implemented eventually, but actually nothing is restricted!

WTF is that all about??

Steve S, on 20 Jan 2016 - 12:15 PM, said:

The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “The decision to water down the recent European decision on the bass stocks”.

Government responded:

The petition title misrepresents the EU process. UK Government successfully ensured anglers could fish for sport and the derogation for gillnets excluded driftnets that take most UK netting catches.

The UK Government has not sought to water down the EU decision to protect bass stocks agreed in the EU fisheries Council on 15 December 2015, as suggested in the petition title. The terms of the petition are either a misrepresentation or misunderstanding of the EU process and the UK Government’s approach.

It is actually the UK Government that has consistently pressed for EU action to address the decline of the stock, and we secured emergency action in 2015. We were not the authors of the recent proposal for 2016, however – this was a Commission proposal – nor indeed of the derogations offered in the compromise deal tabled at Council. However the agreement for 2016 is tougher on most sectors than that for 2015.

The UK Government did manage to achieve some key outcomes to adjust both the proposal and the related compromise deal. These help to protect the EU bass stock’s progress to sustainable fishing and the interests of both recreational and small scale commercial fishermen as EU bass fisheries move towards that goal, as follows.

We fought for and secured continuation of a recreational catch and release fishery for recreational sea anglers during the 6 month moratorium on bass catches, which was under threat in the Commission proposal wording. This means that anglers and charter vessels can continue sport-fishing activity throughout the year, subject to the ban proposed by the Commission on keeping bass during the first six months, coupled with a single fish daily bag limit per person in the second half of the year.

While accepting the principle of the proposed 6 month moratorium and a subsequent catch limit of 1 tonne per vessel per month for most commercial fisheries, we aimed to avoid disproportionate impacts on the lower impact, small-scale inshore hook and line and inshore fixed gillnet fisheries during the first 6 months. But as the UK Government position was for a more modest derogation than that offered on the day, we sought to reduce the impact of this on bass stocks.

Our negotiating position was based on different fisheries’ relative impacts and reflected several factors. Hook and line has the highest degree of selectivity for the right size of bass taken – though gillnets also perform well compared with other fishing methods. We also needed to consider the proportion of the bass catch taken by UK vessels using these methods: although the nets gear group has previously accounted for half of the annual UK bass total landings (46% average from 2011-2013), drift-netting is estimated to account for up to 90% of this, as the Commission are aware, and drift-netting was not agreed for inclusion in the derogation.

In the final compromise these two commercial fisheries (hook and line and fixed gillnets) were given identical derogations for all Member States fishing for bass (February-March moratorium and 1.3 tonne catch limit all year). The UK Government negotiating position in advance of the Council decision had been to press for lower – and differentiated – catch limits for derogations to apply for these two EU fisheries (excluding drift-netting) during the moratorium. But while the compromise offered higher monthly catch limits for netting, matching the limits for hook and line, these are not applicable to the majority of UK netting activity and are combined with the complete closure for two months.

It was necessary to agree EU-level measures for bass in this way because we share the fishery with other Member States who need to be fully signed up if we are to achieve stock recovery. We now at least have a firm timetable with Member States’ and Commission agreement, to achieve sustainable fishing of bass by 2018, and the EU’s interim management package will increasingly be complemented by regional measures, including in the context of multi-annual management plans driven by the Member States concerned, as well as national ones.

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

Click this link to view the response online:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/116747?reveal_response=yes

The Petitions Committee will take a look at this petition and its response. They can press the government for action and gather evidence. If this petition reaches 100,000 signatures, the Committee will consider it for a debate.

The Committee is made up of 11 MPs, from political parties in government and in opposition. It is entirely independent of the Government. Find out more about the Committee: https://petition.parliament.uk/help#petitions-committee

Thanks,

The Petitions team

UK Government and Parliament

What the FLOCK does that mean in ENGLISH ???

Even if this load of  Brussels crap is ratified and becomes law ?

What constitutes a day, which is the word of the draft ?  midnight to midnight ?? or any 24 hour period ???

If I go out overnight and catch one before midnight and one after midnight and get stopped on the way back with two, how will that work ?

If I have one of your big boats and go out for 7 or 10 days and come back with 7 or 10 and get stopped ?

It might be cheaper to register my boat and go seine netting  ?

BTW don't expect to catch much in the way of Plaice this year because the ban has been lifted so the trawlers will be back !!

HOW will you vote on the EU in or out ???????

Dave

In answer to your questions

1/ What constitutes a day, which is the word of the draft ?  midnight to midnight ?? or any 24 hour period ??? - Midnight to Midnight

2/ If I go out overnight and catch one before midnight and one after midnight and get stopped on the way back with two, how will that work ? - Just explain you have been fishing overnight

3/ If I have one of your big boats and go out for 7 or 10 days and come back with 7 or 10 and get stopped ? - Same answer as above but be prepared to show where you stayed overnight even if you stayed on the boat. Saying you anchored out for 7 or 10 days may give you problems however.

These questions have been asked before to the Southern IFCA people and the above were their answers

Dave

Hi Dave

Where do those answers come from?

Are they from the local SIFCA and if so are they legally binding and in writing to give us evidence to carry on-board?

Not that I am about to change my fishing habits and start killing more fish, its just nice to know the correct information when away from base port for a few days. IE Alderney trips.

Want to voice your disapproval? this take 30 secs to cut and paste

Urgent

We at Save Our Sea Bass are outraged by the recent EU Council of Ministers decisions on Sea Bass.

If you share this sense of outrage, we encourage you to join us and send an email to the EU Fisheries Ministers and Officials asking for a number of these measures to be urgently revised. Remember, you are a major stakeholder in the EU Sea Bass fishery – get your voice heard!

Please also consider joining B.A.S.S to support our fight to save the Sea Bass and to achieve recreational angling’s primacy in the Sea Bass fishery.

Please cut and paste the addresses below into the “To” line of your email. Then cut and paste the following (or your own message) into the body of the email and hit send!

[Content]

Dear Fisheries Ministers and Fisheries Officials,

Sea Bass

I wrote to you prior to the 14/15 December EU Council of Ministers meeting asking for you to implement a range of measures to save the Sea Bass.

I am writing to you again to express my outrage at a number of extremely poor decisions and to demand that you immediately revise these decisions to respect the advice of the scientists and your legal requirement to give proper effect to Article 17 of the Common Fisheries Policy.

Article 17

The scientists have recommended landings of only 541 tonnes in 2016 and Article 17 requires you to allocate these based on a proper consideration of the environmental and socio-economic impact of each fishing method.

In my view, the only conclusion from such proper consideration would be that unselective and high impact fishing methods must be completely excluded from the fishery and that the fishery should consist of just recreational angling and commercial rod & line and hand lines, all carried out on a restricted and sustainable scale.

Article 17 – Fixed Gill Netting

I was very disappointed that the EU Commission’s proposals did not respect the obligation to implement Article 17. However, I was astonished and appalled that the EU Fisheries Ministers agreed that fixed gill netting (a highly unsustainable form of fishing that has been a major contributor to the destruction of the stock) should:

1. be allowed to continue for 4 months of the moratorium; and
  2. have its vessel catch limit increased from 1.0 to 1.3 tonnes. Based on the UK 2014 landing data, this higher vessel catch limit will only restrict a paltry 5% of gill netting vessels.

You have justified these fixed gill netting reliefs by saying that fixed gill netting is “low impact” and “sustainable”. This simply isn’t true – fixed gill netting in the UK represented 42.3% of all Sea Bass landings in 2014 and kills juvenile bass, sea birds, seals and cetaceans.

Across the EU in 2014, gill netting represented 30% of all Sea Bass landings. I do not know what percentage of this was fixed netting, but in the UK 68% of all gill netting was fixed.

Regarding the argument that you are protecting jobs, this is an incredibly short-term view; by watering down the proposals you are increasing the risk of the stock failing and destroying the long-term jobs dependent upon it. Further, the New Economics Foundation has recently calculated that the drift and fixed nets have only a 20% dependency on bass fishing.

Article 17 – Catch & Eat Recreational Angling

I was also dismayed to see that recreational anglers who wish to catch and eat Sea Bass and who deliver much higher environmental and socio-economic benefits to society than commercial fishing, are to be treated less favourably than commercial fixed gill netting and hook and line fishing.

You are asking me to relinquish a fundamental right to catch a fish to feed my family and myself. I would gladly do so to help save the Sea Bass stock, if this were part of a package of measures impacting all fishing methods in proportion to their environmental and socio-economic impact. However, the measures that you have agreed do not meet this test and accordingly I do not accept that your decisions are either equitable or, indeed, legal.

Additionally, whilst you have justified your decision on fixed gill netting and hook & line fishing on the basis of protecting small-scale fishing jobs, you have completely failed to take account of the jobs and businesses dependent on recreational Catch & Eat Sea Bass fishing.

Bay of Biscay

You have failed to extend the measures to the Bay of Biscay, despite there being insufficient data to support it being managed as a separate stock and the high risk of displacement activity, for example from pair trawlers and gill netters on spawning and pre-spawning aggregations. Artisanal fishermen in France are warning of an unprecedented intensification of effort that will destroy their livelihoods.

Until it can be shown that this is a separate stock; and that fishing levels in the Bay of Biscay are sustainable, I demand the extension of measures into the Bay of Biscay. Sea Bass do not recognise an arbitrary line on a map and nether should fishery managers.

Tonnage implications

The EU Commission’s proposals were expected to cut landings to 1,449 tonnes in 2016, a figure 2.7 times the 541 tonnes recommended by the scientists. The recent decisions will result in an increase in landings from those proposed. This is totally unacceptable – the stock is expected to fall below Blim in 2016, with a high probability that there is insufficient egg production, causing the stock to fail to recover and remain depleted for extended periods, even when fishing is much reduced.

Yours faithfully,
[insert Name]

[send to]

informacionma@magrama.es; Marianne.Huusko-Lamponen@formin.fi; n.registrator@regeringskansliet.se; info@vm.gov.hu; kabinet.schauvliege@vlaanderen.be; adespota@papd.mof.gov.cy; herki.tuus@mfa.ee; Marian.Jurecka@mze.cz; Jan.Vanin@enviro.gov.sk; Minister@agriculture.gov.ie; gabriela.koenig@bmlfuw.gv.at; minister@mzh.government.bg; mpetrou@minagric.gr; christian.zewen@unico.etat.lu; Kristine.Purina@zm.gov.lv; mfvm@mfvm.dk; sekretariatryb@minrol.gov.pl; ured.ministra@mps.hr; inga.vukelic@mps.hr; info@verbraucherlotse.de; minister.mkgp@gov.si; anpa@anpa.ro; relatii.publice@madr.ro; secretariat.vidalies@developpement-durable.gouv.fr; dpma@developpement-durable.gouv.fr; frederic.gueudar-delahaye@developpement-durable.gouv.fr; alain.cadec@europarl.europa.eu; PECH-secretariat@europarl.europa.eu; karmenu.vella@ec.europa.eu; bernhard.friess@ec.europa.eu; phil.hogan@ec.europa.eu; defra.helpline@defra.gsi.gov.uk; roy.smith@defra.gsi.gov.uk; andrew.randall@defra.gsi.gov.uk; Delyth.Dyne@defra.gsi.gov.uk; demauley@parliament.uk; george.eustice.mp@parliament.uk; urp@politicheagricole.it; Info@zuv.lt; info@saveourseabass.org; infofisheries.msdec@gov.mt; indre.sidlauskiene@zuv.lt; h.r.offringa@minez.nl; roderick.galdes@gov.mt; cab-andriukaitis-webpage@ec.europa.eu;