hello all I'm new please help

GazzaTIno

hello there my name is Gary from poole

Im a very keen fisherman have have just purchased my first 14 ft fishing boat.

I have joined here to talk with people and gain some experience with regards to boat fishing.

Over the years i have caught some super fish including a 3.5 lb sea trout and a 2.5lb Twaite shad from poole quay many years ago when i was at school around 1995.

I also love coarse fishing and have had pike to 20lb,carp to 37.5 Lb and barbel to 13lb.

My biggest bass of around 5 lbs was actually caught at the Royalty fishery in christurch in the lower reaches of the Avon on a live bait dace.

I am very experienced at fishing however i will be the first to admit when it comes to using a boat I'm a complete novice.

I have used it 2 weeks ago and me and my friend did catch two red gurnard.

I must admit i thought the fishing would have been better around bournemouth and the ferry area and no sign of bass and further out no mackerel.

does any body have any advice on this please?

One other thing i am concerned about id i have purchased a Dejon 14 boat and i have read loads of bad things about them since.

i thought it seemed completely fine in the harbour and off the beach in calm conditions ,,and i wouldn't want to be out far and i bad conditions anyway.

i just wanted to no if any one else has any views on this boat please or advice?

look forward to hearing from you 

kind regards 

Gary

Hi and welcome Gary

The chaps will be along as soon as they get in from fishing.

I presume it's the same Gary been in contact with?

Looks like you've sorted the probs but ask on here if you're still having trouble

Lofty

Hello Gary and welcome to the website.

You could do a lot worse than join the club. There's a lot of help and experience available, we meet first Thursday of the month at Parkstone Trades and Labour Club and have various comps and social events.

Joining fee is £17 and Individual membership is £17 per year, Family membership (you, your partner and two children under 16) is £22 per year.

I've sent you a pm with more information.

Regards

Brian

Hi gazza my name is mal and my boat is a 640 quicksilver, for my sins Iam the safety liason officer, we like to know a little about your experience with boating and I think you said first boat.

We can give you loads of advice just ask away and you will get the best advice, we also like to advise you about VHF radio licenses and possibly power boat level 2 courses. You can look up previous post by our trainers we use, send them a message if you need a vhf radio license, if you get a reciept we will give you a 20 percent discount  or a maximum of £20 if you take a course.

Dont know anything about your model of boat but someone will, enjoy your fishing and be safe, please wear your lifejacket.

Just one point about Mal's post above, you need to be a paid up member to receive the discount on training courses.

In your first post you say "no mackerel". That appears to be the general situation at the moment, although they've reached Weymouth, so hopefully will reach Poole Bay soon.

One of our club members, Ian Simpson (username iansimpson63) has a Dejon 14.

what more advice do i get about fishing if i join?

is forum different?

Highly advise joining club as the wealth of knowledge available is amazing and the members are very helpful. Some have large boats and will take you out with them, advise you go to next meeting.

Definitely worth joining, Dad and I joined a couple of years ago and have found it very useful. Meetings have demonstrations from time to time as well, which is always interesting as you pick up new/different techniques for all aspects of fishing and running a boat as well.

We also did the VHF course with the recommended provider and got a club discount too, highly recommend doing the VHF course. Definitely worth the small investment to join.