Braid- Which one and where from?

charlieannear

I mainly use whiplash pro boughtbin 300m spools from alderney, Mark also does bulk spools

We bought power pro for our holiday, but gordon sourced some much cheaper stonefisher on the internet that we took as back up and it worked fine, these are thicker than whiplash though

Charlie have you wound it off the reel then put it bck on back to front? Its generally only the front section of braid that gets the wear. That wy it should last you twie as long. Ive always done this, and never lost fish due to break offs....................just havent had many fish on I guess 

Richardo

I load new reels carefully and painstakingly to put exactly the right amount of backing on under a 300m spool of braid, however when I start to lose line and the spool diameter drops to much, I either take the braid off and use it on smaller reels for inshore work. Or I take it off and add more backing.

Then if I lose more eventually it has to be replaced, when I do this I remove the second backing to get back to the first backing ready for 300m braid again

Cheers for the input- keep it coming.

The braid on my reels was on them when I bought them coming on for a decade ago, and they were second-hand reels!

It's getting a bit fluffy at the hook end and it must start to get brittle after a certain time?

I've got another reel which came loaded with mono and I never use it cos it's loaded with mono- might as well load it with braid instead.

Sounds like Whiplash pro then.

What weight?

We bought some heavy stuff a while ago that was way over gunned....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Charlie, we use Whiplash too, and find 30lb suitable for most uses from "snaddler twitching" to ray/conger.

I have 50lb on my "Beast of Poole Bay" gear, but haven't deployed it yet, and am saving it for the next confirmed "sighting"..... :D

I have 20lb on a baitcaster used with my Ugly Stik spin light rod which is great for bream/smoothound etc, and I find it a bit fragile, but the "cascade" of breaking strains for leader and trace etc might not be quite in balance. 

Overall, I'd go for the 30lb.

Mike

We tend to use 30lb too

A couple of bigger ones have 50

Even my spinning reels have 30as it is so thin, thats where the short bits end up.

We do not change it by age, just as required, but ten years would be pushing it, lol

Edited by Maverick

Standard gear 30lb whiplash pro - reliable, thin (needs less lead)

Heavy gear 50lb whiplash pro next time I fill them, currently on power pro which is fine but a little thicker.

I also have one reel with 30lb Nanofil I am checking out.

Steve

Standard gear 30lb whiplash pro - reliable, thin (needs less lead)

Heavy gear 50lb whiplash pro next time I fill them, currently on power pro which is fine but a little thicker.

I also have one reel with 30lb Nanofil I am checking out.

Steve

Steve,

What's your thoughts on the Nanofil? Hadn't read much in the way of good reviews of it? 

Ian.

Nanofil Is Very low diameter And find it fine for casting.  But Braid all the way on my boat reels.  Accudepth Tournament Braid is good Very high breaking strain to Diameter.  Knots well and Strong.  If you like changing your braid a lot have a look on an Auction site.  Picked up a 1000 yds of 4 ply For £11.00.  Which is great for Wrecking/Pirking or like most have said Whiplash.  The Commercial boys are getting 4 Seasons out of Whip lash