Warrior 175 or alternative?

AHoy

Not got the Explorer afloat yet but making progress. Trailer brakes in even worse state than I allowed for, needed a gas torch to disassemble parts of them (didn't raise the air temp much though!) The previous owner was happy to drive around with brakes like this

20150202_142242.jpg

Trailer roadworthy again now, aux engine (Suzuki LS) sorted, "just" some electrics to tidy up and steering to service now. Checked out the Mudeford and Christchurch launch sites but based on the report from Mal I won't be using those, so  Keyhaven, Lymington or Cobbs for a novice launch next week all being well.

That would be no brakes then!

Terrible - the sooner trailer mot's are brought in the better!!!!!!

Make sure it has stainless brake cables too Alan. And the flush kit as Jim said! Plus beefing savers if you can't get sealed bearings.

Rob

Correct Rob, no brakes when purchased so no surprise, I refused to tow it and had the seller deliver it.

Other than the back plates, axles and bearings everything has been renewed including (stainless) cables. Flush kit and bearing savers fitted, I intend to use them. From experience, brakes always left off on stored vehicles and in freezing conditions.

Hope this still works out as worthwhile! Dreaming of being afloat with an uptogether boat, sun shining on calm seas and fish coming aboard :)

Alan.

" Dreaming of being afloat with an uptogether boat, sun shining on calm seas and fish coming aboard "

Ah everything was going fine until you had that dream.

Sun shining ? ?

Calm seas ? ?

Fish coming aboard ? ? ? ? ? 

Eeeeee you don't half tell em Alan.  :D

Jim

• 10 months later...

An overdue update on the Explorer Elite.

Now rewired and re-engined with Yamaha main and auxiliary, the (much) lower weight of the Yam won over the Suzuki alternative, plus I got an acceptable px on the old motor which none of the Suzuki dealers would offer. The aux can run from the main fuel tanks as well as the built in one. Do like the freshwater flush connection on the big motor. Will give a further update on performance and economy when the engine has done a few more hours.

I have just opted to keep the boat afloat (in Lymington for now) as regular trailer launching hasn't worked out for me. If any experienced hands fancy a trip out I could do with more than a few tips on the angling aspect! 

Alan.

DSC_0164.jpg

DSC_0165.jpg

Rob is right to advise caution. All of the larger Yamaha outboards have an engine flush attachment built in, but it is a flush system only, and the engine is not cooled by this system so must not be run. Engine muffs are required if the engine needs to be started (for service checks etc.) but the flush fitting covers everyday use and is more convenient, allowing a fresh water rinse from a hose even when sitting on a pontoon berth. Ian