Warrior 175 or alternative?

AHoy

Congratulations Alan.

You need to repair the brakes and bearings I believe ?

Make sure you fit a Hub flush kit. They are fantastic ! ! ! !.

Make sure you fit Bearing Savers ! They too are fantastic ! !

I have some stuff you can borrow to clean the rust from your brake parts that are not going in the skip.

It's a paste that you leave for a while and then hose off.  It dissolves the rust and leaves it clean and ready for painting.

PM me if you want to borrow it.  ;)

Jim

Congratulations Alan.

You need to repair the brakes and bearings I believe ?

Make sure you fit a Hub flush kit. They are fantastic ! ! ! !.

Make sure you fit Bearing Savers ! They too are fantastic ! !

I have some stuff you can borrow to clean the rust from your brake parts that are not going in the skip.

It's a paste that you leave for a while and then hose off.  It dissolves the rust and leaves it clean and ready for painting.

PM me if you want to borrow it.  ;)

Jim

Jim

The trailer is a Hallmark/Indespension 1100kg model, it has a hub flushing kit fitted, not sure how regularly it was used though! Bearing savers also fitted. Thanks for the offer of the potions but I have a fair selection already.

First job has been to get new wheel rims and tyres, the fitted rims are not much more than ferrous oxide with a skin of hammerite and not holding pressure. Why do people neglect basic safety aspects like this? Overrun hitch and brake mechanism next on list.

Thanks all for the encouragement. When is it the fish start leaping on the hooks again?

Alan.

Hi Alan,

Glad to hear you are sorted with the new boat.

I was a bit concerned that you might have been bidding against me on one I've got my eye on :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msh4DJGI4Po

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PATROL-BOAT-PBR-REPLICA-FISHING-BOAT-/191482487766?pt=UK_Power_Boats&hash=item2c953ee3d6

What do you reckon?

I think its a bit underpowered for my use but other than that it could give the trawlers a bit of a fright ;)

See you out in the bay soon

Peteg

What anchor size are other owners of 165 size boats finding suitable for fishing use (Alderney ring retrieval)? 

I have a Bruce pattern 7.5kg anchor with 8m of 8mm chain and 100m of 12mm nylon warp in my "stock" from earlier boat ownership, thinking this should not be OTT for the Explorer 165. Would get to be a bit of a strain on the ageing back for standard anchoring though, but also have a smaller Danforth type with the boat I can use where appropriate.

Alan.

Another question for 165 types. I have searched on here and WSF but not got a concensus on auxiliary engine short v. long shaft choice. I know that bracket height/adjustability needs to be considered but assuming a "typical" set-up.  Recently, when I was talking over specs and options with Warrior they recommended a short shaft as the best compromise, well clear of the water when under main power but still dropping low enough for good propulsion in slight seas (if conditions are worse then it is anchor/tow time). Also a short shaft makes a good dinghy/tender motor.

I have an option on a 5hp short shaft Honda, their models have larger transom height recommendations than others, so their short shaft is mid-way between short and long on say a Suzuki.

Alan.

I'd go 5kg Bruce and 5+kg of chain (length depends on link size) and 10mm rope.

As for aux, I'd rather have enough faith in main engine not to rely on one.

I guess you would need the correct size & bracket to make it useable. I assume you would still steer with the main unit assuming staring hasn't broken), so you want it deep enough to be in the water below the hull, but not too low to get potentially swamped.

Rob

Nice one PeteG

That reminds me of a trip to the seawork show with big Dave last summer while his boat was on the Breaksea Boats stand.

As we walked around the show he said that he had no need to look at any toys for Reel Magic as they were all fitted, then we came across the machine gun and he changed his mind.

I have found that Delta anchors have worked for me very well. Found the Bruce copies do need a sharpening of the leading edge now and again to ensure it bites in well as they do get damaged when dragging on the sea bed.

I would steer clear of the danforth in this area as it is really more suited for mud/sand

Dave

Thanks Rob, Stuie.

I felt a 5kg anchor would be adequate but had the 7.kg with rode from the days with the QS640 and MF805. I think the weight saving and easier use outweighs the cost of getting a new anchor and rode, so a bit more spending.

Dave,

Agree the Delta is a decent anchor, I have one on my rag-'n-stick boat, but a bit pricy for snagging and leaving on the sea bed when fishing. The Danforth is handy as a kedge/reserve anchor as it stows away well and gives an option for the gloopy mud spots so worth keeping aboard.

Alan.

Alan,

I managed to get hold of an original Bruce 5kg on ebay and it is far superior to the clones available .It is a pleasure to use and holds well.

I also have a Manson Supreme 7.5kg which was originally my main anchor but the Bruce has relogated it to standby for the following reasons

1.It is lighter and does the job and trips easily.

2.The Manson holds incredibly well but I have found difficulty dislodging it on occassion .It comes with a sliding shackle setup which should make it easier to break out  but i have not found this particularly effective so have rigged  a very ugly messy  trip connection which now works but needs tyraps replacing regularly.

If you can find a used Bruce original go for it may be a little more than a new clone but it is thinner and sharper and stronger and works great in the bay.

Peteg

Brian,

Very helpful pictures, thanks. That looks the latest set-up from warrior, now a bit unsure why Paul was saying a short shaft would be ok when I was considering a boat from them. Nearly placed an order a couple of weeks ago but several uncertaintities on my part.

BTW, why are your props looking pristine, I thought they had to be be gravel honed to show serious fishing effort ;)

Do you use an engine support when trailing or just let the hydraulics take the load when tilted? Assume the warrior transom is rated for the load without any engine support from the trailer.

Alan

I have seen many Warriors with the auxiliary mounted on the transom next to the main engine

I assume that is why they have suggested a short shaft. I have often wondered if they are fitted there if the steering turn is a limiting factor

One of the downsides of having a bracket which you can lower for the auxiliary is that it can get in the way for the rods when you are fishing and there can be a chance for the line to get snagged on the prop etc.

Alan, I have a stainless bracket on the transom (starboard side of the engine) and this takes a short shaft. I also have the 'Z' step port side of the engine. Neither conflict with the turning of the engine. I have always used a piece of wood to support the engine when towing but was advised I wouldn't need it with the new Suzuki although I probably still will.