Warrior 175 or alternative?

AHoy

Hi all,

I have been "away" for some time but now looking for a small angling boat to get going with once again. I will probably go with a dayboat rather than full pilothouse and the Warrior 175 is favourite at the moment. Any comments welcome re. choice of boat or alternatives.

Hope to get to one of the meetings soon and catch up with them that recall me.

Alan.

Hi Alan!

Are you stacking, pontooning or trailering the 175?

It 175 is BIG! Even the 165 makes a number of other 16ft boats look tiny!

Will you be using it locally or Soton Water? As I hear there maybe a new "feature" there!?!?!?

Rob

Rob,

As I am a bit tight for storage space at home stack would be favourite with the right location/price, pontoon as second option. If I can get a deal including trailer then that might open up other storage/launch choices. I live live near New Milton so could go east or west for storage but reckon on fishing mainly west of the Needles.

Reckon the new Bramble Bank feature will be a great mark once established!

Jim,

I still have a proper rag & stick powered boat but downsized to a 23 foot gaffer, it is offshore capable so gets me about (got to Den Helder in the Netherlands and back ok last year). Not exactly quick for getting to marks or set up for fishing though! I plan on running that and an angling boat as long as health and finances allow.

I haven't looked at a 175 yet so not got a feel for size v. a 165. I don't reckon on doing much (if any) trailer launching but will look again at the size implications. The extra size and capability would be good when using it as a family day boat though.

Hi Alan!

Are you stacking, pontooning or trailering the 175?

It 175 is BIG! Even the 165 makes a number of other 16ft boats look tiny!

Will you be using it locally or Soton Water? As I hear there maybe a new "feature" there!?!?!?

Rob

Hi Alan.

Giving up the rag & stick or going to try to do both ?

Warriors are great boats.  The 175 is very heavy though.

As with all boats, you trade one thing against another.

Jim

Hi Alan,

Just coming up to 7yrs now since I bought my 175 and I've nothing but praise for it. Very safe and sturdy boats and perfectly ok to launch/retrieve unaided if needs be, I've done so many times. If you do go for a trailer I personally think a twin axle is worth the extra as weight on 2 wheels gets very marginal and I did get tyre problems.

Just so you know a recall is in the pipeline for all 175s with the built in fuel tank, to modify a potential corrosion issue with the aluminium tank. The export versions with external tanks are not affected. Warrior are offering the upgrade FOC.

Although not much bigger, the 175 is a far more capable and roomy boat for family trips and offshore work (with the self-draining deck) than a 165.

Best of luck locating a good one....

Duncan

Hi Allan, I had a 175 for about 10 years and loved every minute of it in fact still miss it sometimes even though we have a much bigger boat these days. I found the build quality fantastic and it's safe sea keeping ability even better we regularly fished well,off shore and experienced some pretty appalling conditions Bassing in Portland race and sill had complete,confidence to,go back in.

It is a heavy boat because of the build but I found I could,launch and relieve single,handed from a well maintained trailer.

Other plus was because they are in demand they hold value very well depreciation over the ten years for me was about £3k on the original £17k price.

Peter

i looked at a warrior 175 but ended up buying a sprint nordfisher 175 on the advice of someone in the boat industry who I respected. A very solid  and well made boat  and pleased with it after after my first year on the water.Again as a warrior its quite heavy but prefer a solid boat that does not flex. Have a look at their website to compare with a warrior. 

Another 175 fan here.

If I went back to a day boat I'd go back to a 175 without hesitation. I had a 165 too, also great but the 175 is in another league, hard to find much to fault really.

I had a 130hp honda on mine! I would recommend going for at least 115hp... They need a few hp but they really fly, mine did close to 40 knots but drank around 1l per mile at cruising speed.

Another 175 fan here.

If I went back to a day boat I'd go back to a 175 without hesitation. I had a 165 too, also great but the 175 is in another league, hard to find much to fault really.

I had a 130hp honda on mine! I would recommend going for at least 115hp... They need a few hp but they really fly, mine did close to 40 knots but drank around 1l per mile at cruising speed.

I always said we needed a bigger engine!

Thanks all for the feedback and welcome.

Having done a lot more measuring and checking of specifications the 175 on trailer is just a bit too wide to fit down the side of my house and just on the towing limit for my current car. It means I would have to use permanent storage/berthing with no chance to cut costs by keeping it at home if (when) the budget gets tighter. Now looking at storage options and considering boats with slightly less beam (a cm or two less and it would fit past the pinch point).

Alan.

Thanks Dave. I did find that thread earlier which helped put the Pirate 18 on the list, just looking for any extra comments over the past four years of use, reckon no news means no bad news in this case. The test report on the link seems to have disappeared from the website but I have spoken to Jason at Pirate Boats.

Bit of quick feedback wanted if possible, local boat to make a decision on!

Explorer Elite 165 2008, 60hp Honda 4s, on a trailer that needs a bit of work (bearings, brakes)

no service histories.

Looks to be an equivalent to the Warrior 165, maybe not as good for resale value.

Any concerns as a sea boat? Any ideas as to value? (PM me if you prefer on that)

T.I.A.

Alan.

Hi Alan,

Not had much to do with them but yes, looks similar to Warrior 165.

Had a bit of a look a few years ago but didn't think it was as good as Warrior.

How does weight compare to Warrior ? The 60HP engine is only just enough. 70 or 75 is far better as you can get it up on the plane and then ease right back to cruise economically.

I don't think resale value will be as good but if you can buy it cheap enough ? ? ?

Have you priced the brakes and bearings ? probably £150.   ish !  for parts.

Jim

have a try on WSF. there are a couple of guys that own or have owned them and they speak highly of them.

i would of thought that a 60 hp would be ok, my mate runs a 50 hp tohatsu on his predator 165 and that tops out about 26kn cruises very nicely at 20.

never having owned one (or a warrior) i think they offer better value than the warrior. they don't hold their value as well but that should be reflected in what you pay for it.

Not knocking warriors (the amount sold they must be doing something right) but the new prices for a 17.5ft boat are frightening. 

I have been out on an Explorer, for some reason I thought there was more room than the Warrior 165, must be the layout is slightly different

Good boat, they sold loads but the original company went bust for some reason just before launching a 22ft version that looked the dogs what's it as a dedicated fishing machine.

I think the moulds have been sold on to a company in Spain who started to make them again and import them to the UK.

If the price was right I would have one.

A similar boat was the SeaHog Samurai but is was only 16ft.

Check out my old web site for reports on boats http://www.fishing-boats.info/

Dave

Hi Alan .

I have explorer elite with 50hp 2stroke Merc , gets up on plane ok and is a good stable boat ,performs well in a following sea. Has a slightly longer cuddy than a warrior but still has good cockpit space ,two fish comfortably. Would advise a 60 or 75 if a 4stroke. have used orkney 21 & 23 before and explorer is more stable at anchor ,keep mine on trailer and is easy to launch & retrieve, also not as heavy as warrior. Would highly recommend .Also now made by Pisces boats in uk.

Hope this helps    Mick.

Thanks again for all the advice, as a new-to-trailer-boating type it has helped clear some of the confusion. I have a learning curve to climb and also need to ensure I will enjoy using a day boat enough to justify having it, which has given me difficulty balancing boat usability, initial cost and reliability.

The result is I now have an Explorer Elite 165, with Mercury 60hp efi 4s motor, sitting on an Indespension trailer on the drive. All a bit neglected but ready to "trail and sail" once I have done some basic maintenance, got an auxiliary engine and added a boarding step/ladder. The boat will be named "Marsel" in keeping with my previous two fishing boats. Be nice to get the "personalised" club pennant out of storage and flying again.

I might look to buddy up with another boat the first time I go out any distance, if anyone is willing.

Must get some chest waders!

If my fishing is as bad as always the family reckon the boat will be fine for them, it should tow a toy nicely :rolleyes:

Congratulations

I am sure you will enjoy her and I hope you bring some specimen fish over the gunnels :D

Can I also suggest that you have an RNLI safety check carried out. They will do it wherever you live, even at your home.

The suggestions they make can be very helpful and there is no pass or fail just good solid advice.

Hope to see you out on the water in the spring

Dave