new 150

gjb

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there Shark Chaser, I have a 640 also and have been thinking of either selling her to get a newer boat with a larger hp on the CE plate or as you have done just fitting a bigger lump.

My biggest concerns were over the insurance side of things but reading through this thread you seem to of had little trouble with your agents, who are you with and what did they say, did they want a letter from the manufacture??

cheers. Stu

Graham, don't want to worry you but I would be worried about the above, they may have given the insurance cert but the liability still lies with you to ensure compliance with all manufacturers restrictions etc. can't recall if you checked this out or not.

Peter

Orkney 520,s have 35HP max in the CE plate, yet you used to be able to buy them with 40hP engines from the main dealers who were in Lymington BHG marine.

I actually queried with Orkney, BHG and with my insurance company ( amlin ) and had no problems at all.

So I fitted a 40Hp ETEC and was the best move I made, transformed the boat. Just have to avoid using full throttle and then putting the boat into a tight turn while your crew of 4 are all on the same side of the boat ( I think the rating is related to the ability to capsize the boat, amongst other things )

Also it was possible to make her porpoise easily but once trim tabs were fitted, solved that issue.

I think the key thing here is to tell the insurance company two things:

1: I am fitting a engine of this size

2: the boat is rated by the manufacturer to this size (which maybe less than above)

Never assume the insurance company know the max HP rating for any given craft.

My boat was built before the CE regs applied in the UK and carries Nordic Boat Standard rating of Max 96kW for the outboard engine.

This equates to 128.74hp or 130.52 metric hp.

I have a Mariner 115HP 4 stroke EFI engine fited and think this is on the limit for the boat due to the engine weight.

I did believe the engine rating may have favoured the sightly lighter 2 stroke engines of the day (1998) however looking at the current range of etec and mariner EFI 115hp engines the etec is 14kg Heavier than the newMariner  (but is still 4kgs lighter than mine) whereas the mariner opti 2 stroke 115hp is a full 21 kgs lighter than mine

I dont think I'll  be able to uprate to a larger  engine in future as next in line is either a 135hp or a 150hp in most cases and these exceed the power rating

Good thing is I am still very happy with the performance of the 115hp and never find the need to use maximum revs so when the time eventually comes to replace it I'll probably go for the same.(Its 12years old and still going strong) :)