Joint Venture Re-Build thread

Adam F

The main issue I've been having is the short days and colder weather. With the new job, working during 'office' hours isn't really happening, so I'm having to grab the odd hour in the evenings... Tiring work. It's a real bonus when we have a free weekend and amazing how fast things progress given a full day on the boat. The other issue is the cold weather, it's not great for curing the resin... With the amount of heaters and lighting on the boat, I'm not looking forward to the bill next spring!

With the amount of work to do, I've basically turned her into a mini workshop, so the boat has permanent power, and lighting and several heaters.

Anyway, on with the progress report. First off, I got boarded doing the prep jobs so 'treated' myself to installing a few bits of bling. The main deck lazerette hatch now has gas struts to lift the massive hatch, a new shines, proper locking handle to replace the toy ones. I've also cleaned the filth from the bilge, and started work on the battery shelf. The battery boxes are now all done and complete. If anyone wants the moulds, should before I burn them.

3f1a867ff25dacec3f09fbb567b0b580.jpgfa0f1a30d77b203e07890108ea41b342.jpg99dba656cac4fa1b7270a22eee82672c.jpg

Back in the wheelhouse, I've templates and cut sections to fill in gaps in the rear bulkhead, installed the first deck shelf, and fabricated the shelf to take the 100l water tank.

41f707c2eda4d73655c23282ec527a1b.jpg9c5b94bd89715c30e2f93aa1344ec4e6.jpg

The final update is from this evening, where I've managed to template and level in the two main bulkheads. Really pleased with this last bit as it signals closer to getting the new deck in. The new deck will be 8" highest than the old one, storage underneath is cavernous! Im away this weekend, but next week, ill acetone and clean down the hull, foam the bulkheads in and glass them over.

28766f2c6376a9ade70c9df89fa75a3f.jpg51eb045726dd29d4cccff28c753ff11f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Xmas end of year parties and workload have slowed up last few weeks but another step forward anyway.

My building inspector (aka Pete R) was kind enough to pop up last week to make sure I was getting the important structural detail correct under the deck. A few very helpful pointers and I was back underway.

What you see here is the under deck structure complete. Deck shelves around the outside and beams between the bulkheads. All this now gets a coat of resin to seal the timber, before sheathing the whole lot in grp. It then gets flow coated in dark grey before I can start to fit the new deck. A couple of weeks of over Xmas should see this wrapped up ready to start refitting the cabin in the new year.

The last of the toys came this week... An early Xmas pressie... So we will have the new breed of Raymarine EV-100 auto pilot, and a 1kw transducer with Garmins latest GSD26 black box running it.

dee3205621aa8acdb06126eb95d8e953.jpg

c61fd86a6d3d7ec0c6201a10e5335a46.jpg

I gave JV the once over yesterday and I'm well impressed!

I have checked the crew seating and I looks good for a snooze on the way out to the wrecks so I'm happy!

We used the same consultant a couple of times on Alfresco, always a source of great input and advice.

Who ROB !!!!!     :o :o :o :o :o

• 3 weeks later...

So first update for 2015. No photos as they don't show much, but I've been busy fibreglassing... It's taken bloody ages!

At first it seems a quick easy task, just a few strips of grp here and there? Well to comply to Seafish Standards all the structural bits (so anything under the deck basically) needs 1800gsm layup, which is 3 layers of 600gsm mat. Each layer needs to be slightly larger than the last to avoid a big ridge, and to keep a nice stepped profile as well as added strength. So that 'little' job becomes a mountain once you start to cut all the pieces of mat, I had literally a pile of it!

I'll never complain about the price of a boat again.... The amount of labour is phenomenal.... I thought the last boat was a lot of work, but that was a basic fit out, this is nearer to a full build.

Anyway, so I've been out there every spare hour trying to get the grp lay up complete. 3 layers around the top of the deck shelf, 3 underneath, 3 on each of the bulkhead tops, each side, 3 along each bulkhead where it joins the hull... Equates to about 36m at 300mm wide and about 25kg of resin. The last few bits will be done tomorrow morning and then I've enlisted some hired help from Rob Francis on a Thurs to get the under deck flow coated.

Then I can trim the deck to size! I'll be pleased to move on to the next stage...

Never likely to do a rebuild like this at my age, but hats off. Even looking at the hull and how it is strenghened and the moulds for the battery boxes and deck plotter all help me to start to understand what goes into a well constructed and thought out boat. Look forward to seeing the end product. Keep the updates coming.

Allan.

Big progress today. Had help from Rob and planned to make the most of the extra pair of hands....

I think he now knows that it's not all about bolting shiney things on! An endless procession of scrubbing, rubbing, hoovering, cleaning, prepping.....

The first job was to remove all the old carpet backing and glue residue from the wheelhouse...a job I said would 'take about an hour' we picked one side each and 3 hours later we were done! Phew... Pig of a job. But now she is ready for the interior carpet in a few months time.

Next job was to fair off the rear bulkhead, so cue 3l of body filler.... And rob did a great job, whilst I picked up all the bits of glue.

Finally, an hour or so of sanding, acetoneing, and hoovering and the hull was clean and smooth and ready for the flow coat. This took a couple of hours, but now under the deck is complete, flow coated and ready for the deck to be cut to size, sika flexed, screwed and glassed down.

Cheers Rob... We achieved today what would have taken me a couple of weeks to do in the evenings.

1e3321130948f9f6dcc017c62c7d819b.jpg

9fc234625c7a16e405467d4f2524e2a3.jpg

b36812dbf38612602970683303ff19ae.jpg

d0772e34c84a692059f30e691dc0cda2.jpg

2ce05335f733519b645258f65f4c188f.jpg