Which one chaps

Wedger

...where leg driven boats were turning back into Braye harbour in Alderney this August due to very nasty notherly wind over tide conditions three shaft drive boats headed home across the channel.

I've just read the article in sea angler, one of my mates in Alderney said that the sea angler guys were over to do a boat test and it turned crappy. What weekend was that?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

toerag.

Tell me about keel band problems!

I bought a Souter Mi 21, mit 130hp Volvo TD, late summer, and have been slowly putting things together. We have covered most issues by asking the wise ones from the club about areas I'm a little sketching on. (that's most things unsure.gif ). We noticed from the start that the keel band is a bit crumbly in places, and will need replacing with a proper job in time. What can you tell me about this issue please?

blink.gif

Wedger

What's it made of at the moment. How is it fixed to the hull. Can you use the same mounting method again? (ie Can you get to both heads and tails of the screw/bolt fixings.

Without recourse to very expensive 'marine' chandlers there are two materials I have used with success in the past.

#1/ Hot dip galvanised 'WaterBar' from builders merchants. Comes in up to 3M lengths about 1 1/4" wide and 3/16 thick.

#2/ Stainless 316 bar in 5M X 3 or 4mm lengths available from Ferraris stainless steel stockists at Verwood

Mad Mike

...where leg driven boats were turning back into Braye harbour in Alderney this August due to very nasty notherly wind over tide conditions three shaft drive boats headed home across the channel.

I've just read the article in sea angler, one of my mates in Alderney said that the sea angler guys were over to do a boat test and it turned crappy. What weekend was that?

Hi Toerag

I was out there between 17th and 20th August.

Reasonable fishing, but made tough in as much as we spent the whole time as camera boat whenever either of the other two boats caught fish.

The fishing feature bit will be next month (so I am told)

Tom

Thanks for the advice one and all re. Which One (keel band) Chaps smile.gif .

We'll have a proper inspection and go from there. I suspect we will dip her for a month or so and fit a stainless band on the next 'haul out'

T

Tom,

Drilling 3mm 316 stainless isn't too bad. Slow drill speed, plenty of oil and keep the pressure steady. I did a DIY keel band on my 165, went through about five or six standard drill bits. Countersinking can be done, with care, simply using a very large HSS drill bit. Presuming that your boat has a substantial wooden keel immediately above the GRP, the plan is to drill the pilot hole through the GRP very slightly oversize so that the screw doesn't 'burst' the GRP and grips into the keel wood. Plenty of Sikaflex will ensure that nothing leaks but degrease with acetone or thinners first.

The Warrior keel narrows down quite substantially and I had to profile part of the band with an angle grinder before fitting. Be careful if you need to do that too, stainless steel dust is not something you want to inhale.

I notice on Coddy's archive thread, the inference was that my hull problems might have come from the keel band. Wasn't the case, it was the area of hull under and between the cradles that failed, manufacturing error. Warrior rebuilt the beast FOC to the heavier 175 spec and defied me to break it again. I'm still trying tongue.gif

Steve

Quote......Drilling 3mm 316 stainless isn't too bad. Slow drill speed, plenty of oil and keep the pressure steady. I did a DIY keel band on my 165, went through about five or six standard drill bits.

Good advice. When you do the job invest in some top quality titanium (gold) plated HSS drill bits they are the Perros Cajones for drilling SS. Ditto a titanium coated countersink.

Mad Mike

toerag.

What can you tell me about this issue please?

Wedger

I've not had any problems with mine, nor do I know anyone that has, but it's one of the few places where you're drilling holes in the hull. I do know people that have had leaks via their keels, but that was on bigger boats that dry out and get bounced on the bottom everyday. Sorry if I scared you, but time spent doing things properly now will save time later. If the boat's been out of the water for some time and is dry then you're probably best to replace the keelband now, rather than after it's been in the water for 6months. Mine has a stainless band fitted with countersunk screws. It's not one piece, it's 3 I think. The front comes up to about 3 inches above the waterline, If I was fitting a new one I'd run it up as high as I could to the bow (yes I know the trailering eye gets in the way) as that's where you hit pontoons when berthing bow-on if you're not careful.

Hi All,

Joking aside ........... Thank you all for the good advice! We sorta count ourselves as practical people ...(Team Otter)....... BUT, without the benefit of personal experience and confidence, this type of stuff could be a very expensive 'learn-as-you-go exercise. Many thanks to one and all for sharing your knowledge and very broad experience. A great credit to Poole Bay Small Boat Angling Club, which I am certain we are all proud of. Thank you for having me aboard.

T. smile.gif

Agent 43

Just between you & I No. 43 wink.gif ,............................ I'm going for the record on this one rolleyes.gif

Do ya think Mav. will issue a Medal unsure.gif ?

Agent 107 ph34r.gif

Many thanks to one and all for sharing your knowledge and very broad experience.

The great thing about this forum is that it's all like-minded individuals. I've learnt stuff on here, and I hope I've helped others in the short time I've been on here. There's not much on the net with regard to doing things to small boats, so this is a great resource.

I could try for a cheap laugh and say Me rollicks 'ave alus got me into trouble Yer 'onour............I could, but I wont. tongue.gif

But if one thinks about it boats and ships do have their fair share of 'rude' sounding thingies......

Haws hole

Futtock

cringle

tumble home (out on the hiss again?)

rowlocks

bunting (and we all know what that really means! ohmy.gif )

cow hitch (as in reflections on marriage)

And as for HM Ships, who would want to be a Number One let alone a Number Two.

Mad Mike