Which one chaps

Wedger

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Wedger, nice to have you aboard.

My vote would go to the Avor with the inboard 85hp Nani diesel. I think they are a beautiful looking boat and well laid out for angling. With the inboard engine the C of G is much lower giving a more stable ride at anchor.

But with 85Hp don't expect to be blasting across the horizon. Slow and steady will be the name of the game, but then it isn't that often that you can cruise over 16-18knts with an outboard, anyway.

The big benefit will be fuel economy, of course.

I'm in a similar situation, and that's what I would buy if the Misses would let me. Would prefer the larger diesel but then you're talking more dosh.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

cheers

BF

Here's a Arvor, although only a 50, but at 14.5k, all you need is a trailer, 1.5k and you're away.

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F55721/

post-6-1107985440.jpg

Re: Uploading / downloading photos. If we have photos of fish / boats etc. then please feel free to put them on the forum as we have plenty of space available and paid for and currently we have no problem with bandwidth usage ( although this could change in future if the site gets more popular ).

ie. As it stands at the moment, I would prefer to have piccies saved on our site ( as can't be "Lost" ) as opposed to scattered around the internet.

• 8 months later...

unless the engine is signifiacntly heavier or a different technology a diesel will 'drink fuel' according to the HP being required of it. As this is a product of hull speed and weight it follows that the same economy should be available from the larger engine at the same speed.

If you use the extra power, critically the top 20 percent, then you will pay a price of course.

FWIW I also average around 1nm/l over the last 600 hours in my 25ft boat with a 240hp engine.............but I don't blat around at 35knots very often.

Not sure how a marine diesel engine differ, but on an automobile engine, one would runs at it's most economical @ its designed rev range, and not just because it is running at low rev. May be the volvo engine is designed to pair it to a bigger boat and running it with the pirate 21 actually makes it less economical.

I am not sure what the average fuel consumption of a volvo 240 on a leg should be

but I was on a boat on wed, 26 ft hull 240 volvo on a leg

The boat was used bassing in the race at Portland and averaged 12 ltrs per hr at about 24 knots

that makes 1 ltr hr for an MI21 a bit thirsty.

I will ask Gary What his offshore uses,in fact I will call him now biggrin.gif

He says he has never really checked that closely but the 12 ltrs an Hr seems about right, he also states that he is happy with what he gets out of Prodigy 32 knots flat out. and she carry's everything so is probably fairly well loaded.

Charlie biggrin.gif

he would be doing amazingly well Charlie!

average 12 ltr / hour overall I could believe but he will be burning around 34ltr an hour at 24knots give or take about 10% for conditions.

1.2nm/litre would be condidered really good for a planning hull and would be limited to smaller hulls and smaller diesels. At the 25ft / 240 hp range 1nm/l needs the boat to be relatively light, hull to be efficient and you to be operating at optimum speed - Botnia Targa 25 does around 0.95 with 230. Offshore 25 is a great hull form but seriously seriously heavy !

Thanks Duncan

All these things have to be considered in the overall picture

IMHO all boating is a compromise of costs/speeds/stability

faster boats that are built light are not that stable

faster heavy planing boats are more expensive to run but stable at rest

and heavier shaft driven boats are stable but slower, but these can be made faster with bigger heavier engines that then become expensive to run.

Its all back to choice, how big a crew you carry and what else you want to use the boat for.

If it were just me a small boat with an economic engine would be fine, biggrin.gif but with a normal crew of 3 plus me we are starting to look for somthing bigger and faster, with better facilities

Charlie biggrin.gif

Come on Charlie - just take a tip from Dave. He used to watch everyone upgrading their boats to bigger faster etc with the associated costs........his answer, then and now, was to leave earlier and get back later! Appparantly he still got more time in the bar than them as they ran out of money 'cos of the fuel bills........ rolleyes.gif

If it were just me a small boat with an economic engine would be fine, biggrin.gif but with a normal crew of 3 plus me we are starting to look for somthing bigger and faster, with better facilities

Charlie biggrin.gif

Hi Charlie

Can you not just re-engine Great White for a bigger model?

Might be cheaper than getting a differant boat.

Coddy

cool.gif

Discussed this thread with Andy yesterday,whist we were descaling the bottom of Pal a mine.[Arvor 25 ]....Boat is capabable of 22 mph [empty of excess gear,and with a clean bottom ].he says however,"its not comfortable at that speed and could be inclined to veer suddenly in anything but flat calm".It is after all semi-displacement and not designed as a speedboat.It performs at its best at 15/17 mph.and is comfortable;safe and economical. you can use it single handed from a mooring,especially with a bow thruster.Its economy under all conditions is excellent.He further commented that the shaft drive,as against his previous twin outdrives,is saving him almost 2 k. pr year,in maintainance servicing and prop replacement/repair...He has left skid marks and chipped rocks,all over the coast and creeks of Dorset/Hampshire... The moorings at Cobbs are in the region of 3k p.a...Although he has in the past been a frequent "boat changer" he is totally happy with this one after 2.1/2 yrs. It had some niggling faults at first {cured I am afraid,mostly from his own pocket ! }..But someone purchasing 2nd hand would have had all these sorted...hope this helps in some way..only too happy to answer any questions {except on how to catch fish.! ]...jack

Hi

Look hard at the Arvors as they will fit into most budgets if you look on the secondhand market. There are usually plenty available on the essexboatyards.com site. They will also part ex your old boat which can save a lot of grief.

They are stable and solid. My 20 cruises at 15 - 19 knots as there is only one throttle setting for me. It runs at about 2 gallons an hour. Nice and warm in the cabin when out in the winter for Cod and good for family outings.

I would have thought the older 18ft versions with the 50hp engines would be a bit sluggish so go for 20ft up according to budget.

Happy hunting

John C

Hi Guys

this thread is proving very interesting.

Dave

I could as you say re-engine the boat for more speed but that would mean a bigger engine box and even less space which is the main reason we are looking for a bigger boat.

I like the Arvors and know that the two Members who own the bigger 25's are happy with them as are the owners of the slightly smaller ones.

Perhaps we need a sea trial on one of the 25's [Hint Hint Jack]

We are in the difficult discussion stage, should we change, what too,how big, should we buy new, part built or second hand. ETC ETC ETC dry.gifmad.gifunsure.gifblink.gif

Its getting confusing at the moment huh.gif

we have just spent 2 days in Cornwall/Devon looking at boats, and had an interesting sea trial of a jet drive offshore in this mornings wind.

throwing the drive in reverse as you top a 10 foot swell is a cool trick and stops the power dive down the wave a treat. but its an expensive drive system and tricky at slow speed docking.

saying that we were flat out in very rough water and the boat although light felt very safe.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Charlie,

I recall a Souter Mi25 for sale in Poole some time ago. It had a petrol 205hp. Would probably stand fitting a turbo-diesel 2-250 hp by a smart chap like your good self. I'll bet it's still for sale wink.gif . You could go to 300 hp + and be the first on your mark in every comp. and fish all the club water from Poole rolleyes.gif .

(Biased) Wedger tongue.gif

Good Luck.

PS

Were fitting our new Nav. & radio kit to 'Otter' this week and making inroads re mooring. Hope to be able to give you a serious report on performance after mooring facilities are secure. Some safety kit still needed, flares. rings etc. but otherwise 'hot to trot'.

Thanks Trevor

The PM makes sense now

I hope all the work goes well and we see Otter out there soon. If you are in Poole bring her in to the Club so I can be nosey.

I am still pondering the new boat, if it goes ahead it will need to be bigger than GW, as thats the main reason to change up. rolleyes.gif

If you need a lifering PM me again, I think I have a spare biggrin.gif

Charlie