Boxing Day nightmare for Wishin Too

niggle

Hi Nige

You know my thoughts on this mate from texts and facebook, and the offer of help from the boys and I is open ended.

I take my hat off to you for going out with Dave yesterday and taking your feelings out on the dogfish away from Sandy and your family.

Pretty sure that expecting an electrical item to work after a salvage is a bit wishful, I would not blame the pump mate.

Call you later

Charlie

Just seen this Nigel and I'm lost for words really, as you say a nightmare......just want to add I know your boat was on a pontoon mooring but there was so much debris in the river yesterday washed down stream by the heavy rain that several boats were torn from their river moorings by build up of debris on mooring lines or some other flood related cause. these had caught up with other boats causing a log jam effect. Maybe some of this debris could have caused damage to your boat ? Only time will tell....

Very very unlucky Nigel....

Mike

Just logged on in a happy mellow mood and then saw this, so sorry about it Nigel, I can only image how you must be feeling.

I agree with the comments, unlikely it's the actual bilge pump by itself, need to find out the cause for future piece of mind. Many ideas already posted, here's some others.

The boat taking on a lean for some reason (large log against the hull) and then water coming though what is normally an outlet hole more than the bilge pump can cope with or because of the lean not where the pump can pump it out.

A sea water cooling pipe failure to the pump, siphon action then does the rest. This happens on a Volvo D4/D6, I've seen it, more water than a bilge pump can cope with.

Somewhat less likely the main drive rubber gasket on the leg can also fail, this often just trashes the drive but if not spotted/felt the water can get past the drive seal, whether this can let water into the boat depends on the design of the engine. I was told it was a risk on an old Mercruiser I had.

Regarding the idiot who decided to turn over the engine, if it was still turning over when he stopped you may well have got away with hydraulicing the whole thing. Most marine engines like to do this type of engine recovery job, there is basically a procedure to it.

Good luck with the insurers.

Steve

I think Wishin2 is in RIBS, if you see it it had a basin for the boats, so is out if the main flow. No chance of debris hitting her, at a guess.

Maybe the height of the water and rope snagged on the fixed pontoon pulled her gunnel down?

Unless they have surveillance video, it may be unknown. Which will not help for future prevention.

Sorry to see this nigle I had my rib fill with water in the summer when i was away on holls had boat yard take it out i had no damage apart for the three battery

never found how the water was getting in fiiled the boat with water when i got back and it didnot leak out

mark

• 1 month later...

Well just heard today that Wishin Too is to be repaired..............yipeeeeeeee

I was worried as it was a very substantial sum involved so eventually I'll be back😄😄😄

My no claims is not effected as it was on my mooring but I have to pay for the interior trim that was not water damaged but I don't mind as it was looking dated

A very Happy Nigel